New mother Board to existing system?

jack 09:19 09 Aug 2008

Having installed a new motherboard here and there and aware that an existing system will not run- so wound up having to reformat reintroduce the operating system system so to speak and get validation from MS
All of that I am aware of.
Now here is a new problem looming.
This PC is a preloaded OEM system - No operating system disk.but possibly a back up/rescue disk[ don't know yet what I am going to be given]
How does one get the fully loaded hard drive to speak to the motherboard[ or is it the other way?] so that at least validation[if needed] can be achieved.
This is project on the horizon.
I been asked can do?

crosstrainer 09:50 09 Aug 2008

If you have a full retail copy of Windows, no problem.

If you have an oem copy (supplied with the pc and restore disks) I'm afraid it's buy another copy time.

cream. 10:24 09 Aug 2008

the motherboard is not twinned with hard drive > tattooed < and the motherboard chip sets are similar, you might get away with a straight swap.

If the motherboard IS twinned to the hard drive and you have a 25 digit product code. You could wipe the hard drive, destroy the mbr ( remove partition ) and install from a full copy of the O\S. You then put in the OEM code number and ring M\S and explain the motherboard has gone. Most times they are fairly good and will re-activate the O\S.

jack 10:43 09 Aug 2008

just as suspect.
Now to see what turns up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?