New Monitor help please

gcook 18:58 20 Oct 2007

Ive had my PC for 5 or 6 years now and my 19" LG Flatron 915FT monitor has broken permanently.

So Ive been looking for a new monitor and would quite like one of the 20" widescreen ones from Samsung. An SM2032BW from PC World for £179.99. Not sure how to do a link Im afraid.

First question is, is this a good choice?

Secondly, I have a Nvidia GeForce4 4200 graphics card. Are these compatible with the resolutions required to operate a widescreen monitor. The site mentions max resolution of
1680 x 1050. On my display settings the closest I have is 1600 x 900.

If you need more information then just ask. Thanks in advance for your help.

Technotiger 19:08 20 Oct 2007

To make a link, hover mouse cursor over red/black PCA icon in address bar at top, cursor will change to a hand icon, drag down to this Message box and let go. When you click on Post Response your link will appear as if by magic.

Technotiger 19:11 20 Oct 2007

Nice looking monitor, but I don't think your graphics card could handle it. You would probably need to upgrade your card.

Technotiger 19:16 20 Oct 2007

click here

The more usual way to post a link is to highlight the URL address above, then click on Edit and Copy, then in this Message box right-click by the flashing cursor and click on Paste.

You can also highlight the URL address and then with the flashing cursor in this Message box hit ?? keys on the keyboard - damn ...I have forgotten the keys ... aaarrrgghh, help somebody :-)

Technotiger 19:19 20 Oct 2007

Ctrl-C for copy

Ctrl-V for Paste

gettin' old ya-know.

gcook 19:26 20 Oct 2007

Thanks for that Technotiger, might just get a cheapie 19" for now.

Give me an excuse to get a new PC next year maybe!

Technotiger 19:32 20 Oct 2007

OK - don't forget the Green tick Resolved.

Cheers

100andthirty 20:39 20 Oct 2007

I have just had to ressurect my ond Windows 98 computer that had a Radeon 7500 card. This was incapable of showing 1680x1050. The result was viewable but horrible! You should get the exact model number and check it can take the resolution. You'll probably have to download and install the latest drivers.

Are you on XP? If not might be time for an overall upgrade!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?