new monitor does not work

granma.m 16:50 02 Oct 2006

I have just accepted delivery of an Acer 19" widescreen monitor.I installed as per manual ie:
plug and play.Alas nothing happened.I have checked that the power cable works okay with my old monitor but cannot do the same with the power cable and I wondered if anyone else has come accross this problem.
the supplier just does not want to know and I am waiting for a reply to my e-mail to Acer.

Moira

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:58 02 Oct 2006

the supplier just does not want to know

The supplier is required by law to replace or give money back, Sales of Goods act "device must be fit for purpose".

As it won't work then its not fit for purpose, insist on your rights.

If monitor plugged into mains but not connected to PC should give "No Signal" message.

Any LED lit on monitor?

Diemmess 17:02 02 Oct 2006

It seems to be a case of D-ead O-n A-rrival and as such you should have the right to a straight replacement.

I'm not thrilled that you tried swopping power cables in case there is a different voltage there, but can you not simply swop monitors with their own PSUs as a first (and final) check?

Can you name the dealer? They may be "difficult" but the Law is on your side. Keep copies of every communication you have with them.

If Acer can't satisfy you, there is still your credit card company

skeletal 17:03 02 Oct 2006

Not sure what you mean by: “I have checked that the power cable works okay with my old monitor but cannot do the same with the power cable”

I think you mean you have confirmed that the power cable that came with your new monitor works when you use it to power your old monitor, so that’s sorted then.

I suggest you try something really stupid that confused me for a short time once: i.e. make sure you have turned the monitor on!!

The on/off switch is not always obvious (in fact I’ve forgotten where it is on mine!). You should get an LED or similar, lighting up if power is reaching the monitor.

Then, you need the various signals from the computer to activate it via plug and pray, there is a chance this cable may be faulty.

But try the stupid idea first!

Skeletal

granma.m 17:14 02 Oct 2006

thanks for all replies.I bought this from dabs.com.
it would appear their policy is to be as unhelpful as possible,and refer you to the manufacturer.I will wait for their reply and hopefully I will not have to go through the hassle of returning.

I did wonder ifI had switched on,and pressed each and every button.Nothing. I am not very clever about computers so I am hoping it is something simple .
Moira

Stuartli 17:20 02 Oct 2006

Have you read the manual...:-)

granma.m 17:21 02 Oct 2006

Skeletal you are a darling! and I am a complete idiot.I found another button and lo and behold we have light.

thanks again
Moira

Stuartli 17:25 02 Oct 2006

Oops! See that you have.

Strange that about Dabs and insisting you have to return the monitor to the manufacturer (actually it's the quickest way as, otherwise, Dabs has to do it and it takes longer to sort out).

A few years back I ordered two monitors from Dabs - one was brand new and the other was clearly a returned item (even had the name of the IT consultants who had done do on a note).

So I immediately contact iiyama who wasted no time in arranging for a new monitor to be delivered next day and the "secondhand" item taken away.

Dabs' reaction was to inform me that I should have taken it up with them first..:-)

skeletal 17:55 02 Oct 2006

Oh my, oh my...blush, blush, blush...

I’m glad we sorted that one out. It can be simple things that cause problems sometimes!

But manufacturers don't always make things easy...hiding buttons in odd places etc.

Skeletal

Legolas 18:01 02 Oct 2006

granma.m glad you sorted it out. Just for your information the sale of goods act states that the customers contract is not with the manufacturer but with the seller, therefore Dabs were being very naughty in telling you to contact the manufacturer, also had the monitor been DOA you would have been entitled to a refund or replacement, dont let these internet sellers spin you a line, they must be put in their place.

Diemmess 20:09 02 Oct 2006

..... of lateral thinking!

Only a few days ago I had the privilege of commissioning a new PC for a grandson before he took it to start his degree course.

Everything went together straight out of the box..... except the "dead" monitor.
Panic for two or three seconds only, until I found the almost secret switch on the monitor.
I must have short term memory loss as well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?