New Modem/Router

amonra 13:26 15 Jul 2008

I have almost finished transfering my office from one end of the house to the other and now I feel the need for a wireless router to let my other half work in the lounge.
Having perused the web for modem/routers, I'm now more confused than when I started ! The number of models available is mind boggling and each one seems to offer just that bit more than the other.
So my question is, what do our members recommend ? With such a wide readership there must be a common "Best Buy".
I dont want all the fancy bells and whistles, just a good, solid, reliable modem for use with a telephone line,(not cable) preferably with 4 lan ports, firewall.
What's your favourite please ?

cream. 16:06 15 Jul 2008

Are you on cable or phone line broadband?

How far do you want the wireless range to reach?

What speed is your broadband?

cream. 16:07 15 Jul 2008

I see you want an ADSL one ;-)

Pineman100 19:17 15 Jul 2008

I'm a fan of Netgear. Good reliable kit, and very easy to install from their CD.

click here

Pineman100 19:19 15 Jul 2008

Just one other thing - the Netgear router I mentioned above supports 802.11g and older, but not the new N protocol.

What does your adaptor support?

amonra 13:42 16 Jul 2008

Pineman
I have been eyeing the Netgear routers and most people seem to give them a good review. The DG834 series look good although the PN version seem problematic. I think I will stick to the G version which has been tried and tested. Thanks again for your input.

iscanut 14:10 16 Jul 2008

I have used the Netgear DG834 g version for a long time now without any problems at all. Go for it ! I also use my desktop in one room, router attached to my desktop and wife uses wireless laptop elsewhere in house ..no problems at all.

Why wont it work 14:13 16 Jul 2008

I'll vouch for the DG834G too. The best router I have ever had. I was forced to change router when I upgraded to ADSL2+ and the DG834N (which I took back because the wireless was so poor) and Belkin N1 Vision are no where near as good, especially when taking price into consideration.

Ditch999 16:42 16 Jul 2008

Linksys WAG325N click here Brilliant strength/coverage for wireless and all the security you could ask for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Best Free Video Tutorials for Drawing and Painting

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie