New Modem/Router

amonra 13:26 15 Jul 2008

I have almost finished transfering my office from one end of the house to the other and now I feel the need for a wireless router to let my other half work in the lounge.
Having perused the web for modem/routers, I'm now more confused than when I started ! The number of models available is mind boggling and each one seems to offer just that bit more than the other.
So my question is, what do our members recommend ? With such a wide readership there must be a common "Best Buy".
I dont want all the fancy bells and whistles, just a good, solid, reliable modem for use with a telephone line,(not cable) preferably with 4 lan ports, firewall.
What's your favourite please ?

cream. 16:06 15 Jul 2008

Are you on cable or phone line broadband?

How far do you want the wireless range to reach?

What speed is your broadband?

cream. 16:07 15 Jul 2008

I see you want an ADSL one ;-)

Pineman100 19:17 15 Jul 2008

I'm a fan of Netgear. Good reliable kit, and very easy to install from their CD.

click here

Pineman100 19:19 15 Jul 2008

Just one other thing - the Netgear router I mentioned above supports 802.11g and older, but not the new N protocol.

What does your adaptor support?

amonra 13:42 16 Jul 2008

Pineman
I have been eyeing the Netgear routers and most people seem to give them a good review. The DG834 series look good although the PN version seem problematic. I think I will stick to the G version which has been tried and tested. Thanks again for your input.

iscanut 14:10 16 Jul 2008

I have used the Netgear DG834 g version for a long time now without any problems at all. Go for it ! I also use my desktop in one room, router attached to my desktop and wife uses wireless laptop elsewhere in house ..no problems at all.

Why wont it work 14:13 16 Jul 2008

I'll vouch for the DG834G too. The best router I have ever had. I was forced to change router when I upgraded to ADSL2+ and the DG834N (which I took back because the wireless was so poor) and Belkin N1 Vision are no where near as good, especially when taking price into consideration.

Ditch999 16:42 16 Jul 2008

Linksys WAG325N click here Brilliant strength/coverage for wireless and all the security you could ask for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?