New Mobo ,old drives?

sputnick 14:19 10 Feb 2009

I am looking at upgrading my PC to a Mobo that would take one of the new dual / quad core cpu`s.
I also want to keep XP and most of my software.
Is there anyway I can still use IDE drives as I have a few large capacity that use use at the moment.
I would like to keep as much of my original system as possible.
If I have to use sata drives can I transfer my OS and existing software.

Bryan

crosstrainer 14:28 10 Feb 2009

You have a choice: New MObo's normally come with at least 2x IDE channels, and 4x SATA connections. If you change your motherboard (and only have an OEM copy of Windows) You are going to fall foul of the licensing rules (sometimes MS will give you an activation key, sometimes they won't)

If you have a full retail copy, then you are of course fine. It's not as simple as just plugging in the old drives and off you go though...A motherboard replacement will require re-installation of your programmes from the media provided with them.

Best course of action prior to undertaking the upgrade is to backup all your data (pictures, music etc.) to DVD or CD. At least you won't lose them if you have to re-format and start again (recommended)

You really would be better off using the SATA drives in your new system, and using the IDE channels for your optical drives....Either way you will have to buy SATA DVD or SATA HDD drives for the newbie.

sputnick 15:31 10 Feb 2009

Thanks for that answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?