new memory upgrade not working

Migwell 00:31 05 Oct 2013

I have a windows 7 home premium computer, which has 4Gig of memory. I downloaded crucial scanner and it advised me to get 2X4Gig PC10600 1333mhz DDR3 memory I took the spec to the computer shop and bought what I was to get. When I installed it the computer started up and closed down over and over again. I took out the extra memory and the memory that came in the computer which was 2X2Gig of the same type. I put the 2X4gig into the slots that had the first memory in but again it just starts up and closes down. When I put the first Memory in, in the first slots we start up and keep going. What an I doing wrong. This is a 64 bit computer

rdave13 00:50 05 Oct 2013

Looks like your mobo won't support more than a paired set of rams. If you have four slots then slot "0" might be paired with slot "2" and "1" paired with "4" if you have four slots. Try the crucial in the firs and third connections first. See how the mobo reacts.

Migwell 07:52 05 Oct 2013

I have also tried the new memory by its self in slots 1&3 also slot 2&4. I have also tried 1 strip on the new memory in slot 1,2,3,4. By it's also trying the other strip in all slots, still the same. My computer is reported to be able to use upto 16Gig of memory, and it am trying just to get it to accept 12Gig. I went into setup for a look and see if there are any clues but all I could see was the report that slot 1 & slot had 2 Gig in each, but that section seemed to be greyed down, where as the section above that, (time and date etc) were in full colour ie. blue and white. The slots 1&3 are a different colour to slots 2&4 (blue & black) in prs.p So I still am stuck with not being able to go any further, for the time being.

Migwell 07:52 05 Oct 2013

I have also tried the new memory by its self in slots 1&3 also slot 2&4. I have also tried 1 strip on the new memory in slot 1,2,3,4. By it's also trying the other strip in all slots, still the same. My computer is reported to be able to use upto 16Gig of memory, and it am trying just to get it to accept 12Gig. I went into setup for a look and see if there are any clues but all I could see was the report that slot 1 & slot had 2 Gig in each, but that section seemed to be greyed down, where as the section above that, (time and date etc) were in full colour ie. blue and white. The slots 1&3 are a different colour to slots 2&4 (blue & black) in prs.p So I still am stuck with not being able to go any further, for the time being.

Migwell 07:56 05 Oct 2013

This site is getting slower than ever hence the double postings, after about 15 to 20 seconds after trying to send you give it another tap and it then posts and then you see two on the forum. I have NO bother with my car forum site like this one, there must be a fault on here.

spuds 12:55 05 Oct 2013

Seeing that you have already done a bit of swapping around with no success. I would suggest, if convenient, that you return or contact the computer shop where you made the memory purchase, and ask if they can assist. If its faulty or non-compatible memory, then they might need to replace or refund.

Regarding your other issue about this website. Its been posted frequently and already known. PCA are constantly looking into it?.

hastelloy 13:43 05 Oct 2013

I recently had a similar problem with memory supplied by Crucial. It turned out that my motherboard would not accept memory above a certain speed so swapped it for slower and it worked fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?