New memory nightmare

iain thomson 22:41 09 Aug 2003

Bought 128 mb memroy for old PC, manufacturersstates it can handle it. After fitting it I only get one long beep and 3 short beeps. The monitor wont kick in and it does nothing. I put old memory in and started again but it does the same as it did with the new memory. As i wanted to check if the memory was ok I fitted it to my other pC and the exact same happenned. Now I have 2 PCs that wont work and they have exactly the same problems after I fitted the new memory. What has this memory done to my PC and why????????????????????? Help me please...........................................

Bodi 22:49 09 Aug 2003

next to the memory expansion slots, there were jumpers to alter the voltage of the memory module. Some ran at 5v and others at 3.5v. Not saying that this caused the problem, but may be worth considering.

Bodi

xania 16:13 10 Aug 2003

You will need to check your mobo manuals to find what BIOS you have and then check out what that code means. Errors I ahave fond, based on different BIOS include:

Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA) (Unlikely in your case) or You've probably just added memory to the motherboard since this is a conventional or extended memory failure. Generally this is caused by a memory chip that is not seated properly. Reseat the memory chips. (very likely in your case).

But click here for more information.

Bodi 23:37 11 Aug 2003

Go into the BIOS and if there is a facility for doing so, disable the parity checking and retry your new memory.

Bodi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?