New M/B, CPU, FAN, PSU and Memory.

Sapins 17:31 26 Aug 2004

I want to buy a barebones system and keep my monitor, 2 hard drives, CD RW drive, DVD Rom drive, floppy drive and sound card and graphics card, or possibly buy new sound and graphics cards and a DVD recorder for the new system, then buy a cheap monitor and network the 2 computers together. At present I have a Pentium 111 650MHz processor with XP on the smaller hard drive (15GB) and most of my software on the second hard drive (80GB)

I visited a local computer shop this afternoon and was told that I would not be able to boot the new machine unless I formatted the hard drive containing XP and then re-installing the OS.

Is this correct and if not would I just build the system and boot up?

Any help, suggestions as the best way to go will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Sapins.

polish 18:46 26 Aug 2004

i re-built my own system about 3mths ago and had to format hdd as the computer would not boot up and for some reason i did not have to register with microsoft at the time due to the changes but have had to a couple of times since? not a problem just inconvient

Sapins 19:17 26 Aug 2004

Hi polish, thanks for your reply, I don't really fancy having to format and re-install XP, but, as I have done it once I suppose it won't be too bad.

Regards,

Sapins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone