New mail icon but no new emails....

Ynysganol 12:55 23 Mar 2010

I normally get a 'new email' icon showing in the bottom tray, right hand corner of my computer to indicate that I have new mail. Normally when I go into Outlook Express there is indeed a new email. However, recently on occasions I get the 'new email' icon showing but then find there is no new email in my inbox....

I use Windows XP and Outlook Express.

Is there new email somewhere else maybe?

MAJ 13:13 23 Mar 2010

It could be a couple of things.

1. Maybe there is an unread email in your junk mail folder, or some other folder.

2. Are you seeing the Unread Message notification on your logon screen? If so, click here and download TweakUI. After installing TweakUI, run the program, locate and select Logon in the left pane. Then click on Unread Mail. Unselect and uncheck the Show unread mail on Welcome screen option. See if that cures the problem.

Ynysganol 14:04 23 Mar 2010

Hi - thanks for the quick response. I don't appear to have a Junk email folder. If I have it's not obvious...

The icon appears only whilst the computer is on - it never appears when I first logon (unless there are genuine emails there).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?