New to Linux - installation problem

medicine hat 10:39 28 Feb 2003

Last night I thought I would join all those who have given Linux a go and install it on my spare PC (a K6-2 450) from a mag cover disk that I got a couple of years ago.

The PC already had Win ME on it so with PartitionMagic I split up the HD creating a 3GB FAT32 primary partition for ME (P1), a 3GB Linux primary partition (P2), a 3GB FAT32 primary partition for any other OS I try out later (P3) and the rest of the 20GB drive became a logical partition (P4). I could choose which primary partition to use with BootMagic.

The Corel Linux installer asked me to create a boot floppy and with that the installation started smoothly... until it asked which partition to install to. The unuser-friendly installer wanted to use either P1 or P4. The Advanced User option could see P2 but kept moaning about the root when I clicked on it so had to give up on that. So I loaded up Win Me and converted P2 to FAT32 in PM and with BM chose to boot from P2 - of course I got the Invalid System Disk message so pushed in the floppy made earlier and off the installation went.

I was now able to install to P2, which it called the C: drive, so I sat back and twiddled my thumbs as very little is shown on screen. When it had not moved from 2% after about 10 minutes I gave up watching and went off to play that Civ3 game I had started 4 weeks ago on my main PC.

When I came back to it some hours later the Installer said it had finished and so should reboot. I took the floppy out of the drive, rebooted, chose Linux from the BootMagic menu and got the Invalid System Disk message.

I hope someone can work out where I went wrong and any advice on Linux would be gratefully accepted as I know nothing about this OS.

Thanks in advance.

dth 11:32 28 Feb 2003

I have just bought a copy of Linux (different version but I assume the same basics). Reading through the guide book it says that if you have a hard disc partioned into 3 (C D E) it cannot be set up on the middle partion 'D'. It doesn't explain why though and just goes on to say that it will work fine (in this example) on either C or E.

I have installed it on drive D (as my hard drive is split into just the 2 partions and Win ME is on the C drive) last night and it seems to work fine.

medicine hat 12:08 28 Feb 2003

Thanks dth

Perhaps I should try it that way this evening - dump having different partitions for Ops and Apps - just have the 2 and install it to the 2nd

dth 12:22 28 Feb 2003

It might be worth a try.

I am like you - using an old spare P/C to give Linux ago. First time I have ever read a manual. It all seems straight forward - until (of course) you hit a problem.

Aspman 13:20 28 Feb 2003

Which distro of Linux are you using.

If its it one of the newer versions, just use partition magic within windows to remove the partitions where you want to install Linux just leaving blank unpartitioned space.

Now when you try to install linux (on a newer version i.e. Mandrake 9, Red Hat 8) the installer should ask which partitions to use or to use free space. Tell it to use the free space and hopefully it should setup the partitions it needs itself. If you get the option use the LiLo boot prog rather than Grub especially if you plan on ghosting the drive. Ghost doesn't like Grub very much. Boot magic should recognise the Linux setup so you can use that if you preferr after the install goes ok.

medicine hat 20:40 28 Feb 2003

Sorry Aspman I didn't see your suggestion before I started again. No idea about which distro it is - just on a Personal Computer World cover disk with KDE desktop and Wordperfect 8 Light.

Ooh I love PartitionMagic - so easy to use. Well, this time I set up 2 primary partitions of 10GB each and using BootMagic booted into the 2nd. Pushed in the floppy to boot from and off it went. LiLo appeared on screen momentarily so I hope that's good.

Not sure what Ghost does - is it like Norton Ghost?

zanwalk 23:58 28 Feb 2003

It sounds like you have a version of Linux that installs under Windows, because Linux doesn't recognise partitions with drive letter designations, it refers to partitions as hda1, hda2, etc.

I think it would be best if you had a genuine version of Linux, I have several versions of Linux on cover disks, and if you require one I will gladly send you a copy, just email me, (the envelope by my name).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?