new to linux how to install software?

Internetwhizzkid 18:44 20 Mar 2007

Hi,

I am a newbie to linux and I was just wondering, does anyone know how to install any software on the os,

I download a .thz file or something like that But I have no idea what I do with it.

I will be so happy if someone can tell me how to install software on linux

Thanks
Ben

Diodorus Siculus 18:52 20 Mar 2007

It often depends on what flavour of Linux you have installed.

Give that info and someone should be able to help.

Internetwhizzkid 18:54 20 Mar 2007

linux ubuntu

I've only played around with Linux on the odd occasion so know very little about it but one thing I noticed is that to open executable files, you have to right click them, go to properties and then check the box that says executable otherwise you just see the program's code when you open it.

Diodorus Siculus 19:00 20 Mar 2007

click here for a video

click here

Diodorus Siculus 19:01 20 Mar 2007

click here another guide

Madscot_uk 22:57 20 Mar 2007

In some cases what you want can be found with the synaptic package manager. it can be found in system/administration and entering your password. Once open go to settings/repositories and ticking all the boxes.

You can then search using the package manager which will handle the installation for you.

I was a linux noobie 2 months or so ago and i found searching on the ubuntu forums click here very informative

LastChip 23:26 20 Mar 2007

Most common applications can be installed via synaptic (as already mentioned) or the adept manager (found under system).

Ubuntu is Debian based and you can also use VERY SIMPLE commands to look after installs. More about that if you need it.

It's worth installing Automatix too, if you want to install common multimedia/internet applications and plug-ins. Automatix will probably be Automatix2 by now.

The whole point about the Ubuntu family, is it's pretty much click and install, just like Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?