New Laptop - which of these do I need?

hawthorn59 03:19 24 Mar 2008

Hi

Just got a new laptop with Vista home premium, though at the moment Im working on the old one.
Im just wondering if you could give me your opinions or recommendations on the following:

1 I have Mailwasher, which helps filter spam in my emails. It stops it at the server; you can preview the emails and delete the unwanted ones before theyre ever downloaded to your pc. Do I need this with Windows Mail (I have been using OE6)?

2 Should I dump the Norton Internet Security in favour of the free programs available?

3 Do I need a firewall or is the one in Vista sufficent?

4 If I do what one do you recommend? Im using Comodo but at times it asks too many questions and I just say yes!

5 How many of these do I need wih Vista? (Ihave them all at the moment)

Comodo (or alternative)
Avast antivirus (thinking of changing to AVG)
A Squared
Ad aware
SpywareBlaster
SuperAntiSpyware?

kind regards folks, and thanks

h

AlanHo 07:32 24 Mar 2008

I am happy to run my Vista desktop and Vista laptop with just the Vista firewall, Windows Defender and AVG anti virus.

Both computers have run with just that protection for a year with no problems.

I also used to use mailwasher - but now rely on the free spam protection provided by my ISP - Virgin media

I would never ever use Norton again - I had too many problems with it over the years.

Taff™ 07:50 24 Mar 2008

Mailwasher runs on Vista but there are incompatibilities. Display isn`t right and if you try to close it from Vista there are error messages. I`ve kept it despite these minor problems.

Stick with Avast and remove the free trial of Norton. Firewall - up to you. I just rely on the Windows Vista firewall. From your list I have found that Superantispyware never finds anything whereas Asquared is always on the ball. Windows Defender rarely identifies anything at all either but it`s unobtrusive so I`ve left it alone.

Forum Editor 09:37 24 Mar 2008

the Vista firewall exclusively on all my machines, plus AVG and AdAware. No problems at all so far. I wouldn't personally use Mailwasher, I use Microsoft Outlook, and the MS spam filters seem to work reasonably well.

hawthorn59 14:18 24 Mar 2008

Thank you all. Seems like Vista firewall is better than xp then!

h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?