new Laptop Vista or Windows 7

MIKE. 17:27 12 Jul 2009

Im curious to know the general feed back from all you wise folk in this group. My cousin is thinking of buying a new laptop does she go for Vista knowing most of its bugs have been sorted out or wait a month or two and go for Windows 7 with its possible bugs but a new system????????

rawprawn 17:30 12 Jul 2009

Later this year (if not now) most of the computers sold with Vista will have a free upgrade to Windows 7.
This is to avoid computer manufacturers sales dropping off a Cliff while customers wait for W7.

MIKE. 17:32 12 Jul 2009

The trouble with upgrades they never realy in my opinion work as good as a new load.

MIKE. 19:15 12 Jul 2009

bump

bluto1 21:27 12 Jul 2009

To a fair degree I agree with you re updates and inherent problems. My opinion is that the lady should buy now as long as it's Vista Premium and accept the free update later. Having said all that, would she get a very basic Win 7 update? This is worth looking into.
e.g. if I had a Win XP PC there's no way I'd accept a Vista Home Basic update.

Bathsheba 12:21 13 Jul 2009

I've just bought a new PC with Vista Premium and there are compatibility issues, but not sure this will be any different from Win 7. I will automatically receive a free upgrade to Win 7 in Oct, which I think I will take advantage of.

mooly 12:29 13 Jul 2009

The upgrade probably works best from a clean install of Vista and this is what I did for Vista. Clean unused factory restore of XP, then run the (free) Vista upgrade.
Absolutely perfect.
I don't know if all manufacturers do this but Acer at the time included an upgrade DVD that had all the latest (Vista of course) drivers and patches for the bundled software and applications that were pre-installed.
And getting the upgrade DVD gives you a copy of the OS which might come in useful in months and years to come.

MIKE. 21:22 13 Jul 2009

Many thanks guys, it seems to me if she can wait for windows 7 preloaded that would be the best option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?