New laptop or tower- which to buy

mickeyfinagin 22:47 01 Oct 2009

Hi all, I am looking to purchase either a lap top or a tower for my 13 year old so.
My budget is upto £430.
I have quite a good gamming tower at the moment, but i need something for my son so he can do his homework ect on. he faster the better.
He uses windows publisher alot,exel,word ect and will need to browse the net, its not going to be needed for gaming really, but it would be an advantage if he could play a few games.
I don't know alot about the specs. of laptops, but have come across an acer laptop that looks ok. Or is it better going for a tower, and if so which one.

Acer Aspire 6930G

Processor Intel® Core 2 Duo (T5800, 2.0Ghz 800 FSB 2MB L2 cache )
Screen 16" (HD 1366 x 768 resolution, high-brightness (220- cd/m2) Acer CineCrystal™ TFT LCD, 8 ms high-def response time, 16:9 aspect ratio)
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
RAM HIGH (3072MB 3GB)
Hard Drive 250GB SATA
Optical Drive DVD Rewriter (Records DVDs 8x & CDs 24x & Dual Layer Super Multi)
Graphics Dedicated (NVIDIA® GeForce® 9300M GS with 256MB Dediacted RAM)
Wireless LAN Wireless (WIFI LINK A,B,G,N Includes MIMO)
Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Fast Ethernet
Integrated Webcam Yes (This model 0.3 megapixel CMOS camera)
Card Reader 5-in-1 card reader (SD//MS/MS-Pro/MMC/xD-Picture card™)
USB Ports 4x USB 2.0 Ports
Speakers Dolby®5-certified surround sound system with two built-in stereo speakers and one subwoofer supporting low-frequency effects
Modem 56.6K Modem
VGA Port 1 External VGA Port
Kensington Lock Kensington lock slot
Charge Time 2.0 Hours
ExpressCard ExpressCard™/54 slot
HDMI 1 HDMI Connector
E-sata 1x Esata Connector
Battery Life 2-3 Hours (This Specific Model 2.5-hours)
Weight 3-4 Kg (This Model 3.68kg)
Warranty 12 Months Acer Collect & Return
Finger Print Reader Fingerprint Reader

Any advise greatly received.

Tinkey Winkey 00:10 02 Oct 2009

I would say that if you already have a desktop, then get a laptop. You can then both share the 2 computers according to what you want to do.

As I spend (too many) hours on PCs, it can get a bit lonely and "cabin feverish" from being stuck in the computer room/office all the time.
It's nice to be able to sit anywhere in the house & garden with the family. So in this respect the mobility, space saving and "real human interaction" of a laptop are very desirable.

You could even take it anywhere in the UK with a mobile internet dongle from around £10-20 a month, or connect to many public networks available.

When I want to play games I'll go to my Desktop Gaming PC.

If your son wants to play recent graphically challenging games such as Call Of Duty 4 for example, then I would get a desktop.

Even so-called gaming laptops costing thousands are generally pretty rubbish for games, so you can imagine how disappointing a £430 laptop would be. That said, if your son only wants to play simpler games such as Sims 3 then I would think that the GeForce® 9300M GS would be ok.

One last thought, laptops aren't as easy to repair as desktops. You can replace/ upgrade every part of a desktop cheaply and easily yourself. Motherboard, processor and graphics replacement on a laptop are more expensive and difficult (or not possible), even if you can get hold of the parts.

morddwyd 07:22 02 Oct 2009

Desktops are easier to upgrade.

At 13 your son is at a stage, or soon will be, where he will be looking at more resource hungry games, and will be looking for bigger and better hardware.

woodchip 08:57 02 Oct 2009

Desktop will be more Robust, so he cannot take out. Also can be upgraded

woodchip 08:59 02 Oct 2009

Anything going wrong with a Laptop can be expensive if not prohibitive cost wise to repair

mickeyfinagin 11:41 02 Oct 2009

Thanks for the replys.
the tower option looks to be the logical route to go, but maybe i was making too much of the Gamming issue.The tower I have is fine for gamming at present ( i am looking to go down the ps3 route soon, pc's are too expensive to try and keep up to date, it's only the boys poor old man who can't get on with joysticks)

the main issue I have is 3 boys all wanting to use the p.c at the same time.
My oldest son looks after things so well that a laptop would not be an issue , the mobility of a laptop is what i like, meaning he can do work on his desk, kitchen table ect.
In the near future, I will need to get my second son a pc. He has a bigger desk so a tower is ok.

please can anyone advise on a laptop upto £430.
thanks

mickeyfinagin 19:44 02 Oct 2009

bump

tim742 17:04 27 Feb 2010

i am looking for the best gamming laptop for under £1500 it has to be fairly lightweight as i do alot of travelling i do not know about computers but would like to play the most recent games on it, also need it within the next 15 days so preferably retalers in the uk if not fast shipping would be fine any help would be much appreciated?

ame 17:11 27 Feb 2010

Best to start your own thread with New Gaming Laptop Advice in the title, rather than tag on to an old thread with wrong subject :-)

Jameslayer 17:13 27 Feb 2010

Tim742 I would start your own thread.

But if you havnt looked at this link then try here click here

Its the pca laptopadviser link.

As everyone has said. A PC will be cheaper but the laptop will give you the ability to move around the house etc with it.

Jameslayer 17:13 27 Feb 2010

lol I dint check the posted dates. Isnt it strange some peeople create several threads and others dont wnat to create any.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires