New laptop no internet access

express101 01:45 22 Feb 2010

I brought a new laptop. OS Window 7 Wireless card 802.11b/g/n I have Linksys WPT105N router. I thought I wrote the right password to access the router but, on the right side on the toolbar the signal for internet connection has a ! mark. I left click," Currently connected to Unidentified Network No network access
Wireless Network Connection
linksys Limited access (signal excellent)
Do I need to reset the router? What are steps that I need to take? Any input would be welcome.
Why does it have unidentified network. My IPv4 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

rizlo29 04:20 22 Feb 2010

It seems you have no connectivity. On xp, it says, "limited to no connectivity"... however it means the same thing as no network access. ps Ive never used windows 7.

Anyhow, I would reboot router as that can rectify things.

You seem to have an ip address from what you wrote above, but do you have a dns address or default gateway address?

To find out do the cmd run and ipconfig/all

Its getting late here so try googling these.

How to set up dhcp client. how to set up tcp/ip
to obtain ip and dns automatically
If you google them, you should be able to sort the prob

GL

mgmcc 08:47 22 Feb 2010

Try deleting the existing wireless 'profile' and then go through the procedure to "Connect" again.

Go to "Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center" and click the link at the left to "Manage Wireless Networks". Highlight the existing connection and click the Remove option above. Then "Connect" again when a new profile will be saved. See if that then identifies the network correctly.

express101 00:06 23 Feb 2010

Thanks it worked by deleting the existing wireless and resetting the router I was able to connection.
Thanks again for the information.

johnmathew395 17:22 23 Feb 2010

You probably have a weak wireless card or one that doesnt function particularly well with your router, it's hard to say what your problem is. Did you set your DNS settings to the router's IP? If not, that would probably be why you can't access the internet.

cahill01 18:23 26 Feb 2010

hi i can't connect onto laptop, its saying there might be a problem with one or more net work adapters on this computer.

1 plug a cable into the network adapter local area connection.

2 try moving to different location.

3 automatically get new IP setting for the net work adapter

it was working fine, until i tried to put on new norton 360 version 4.

now i have this norton on my main PC and all is fine on it.

Any help plz.

express101 21:45 27 Feb 2010

Thanks for the information thanks again

ame 15:35 01 Mar 2010

I refer to your other (own) thread click here where you will hopefully get a solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone