New Laptop - help with queries!

hawthorn59 15:46 15 Apr 2008

Hi

Im setting up a friends new Dell laptop and just have a couple of questions, your help would be appreciated!

1 Would you recommend uninstalling McAfee free trial as you do Norton, and getting AVG?

2 Its asking me to "activate" McAfee, but then it registers it automatically. If i dont activate it, is it still working while I download AVG!?

3 Dell Gadgets and Sidebars -- it says "your laptop comes with Google Gadgets" etc etc Should I keep those or if they're not hogging resources should i leave them? I imagine my friend isnt too concerned about having gadgets?

4 Likewise with Google desktop?

5 So presuming you say yes to no 1, is AVG, Windows Defender and Vista Firewall enough security?

h

ambra4 17:33 15 Apr 2008

First download this program and remove ALL trail ware programs and all other dell programs that you don’t want

click here

McAfee free trial, Office 2003, Google Desktop, AOL, Side Bar etc

and any other crapware that dell have install on the laptop as only using up hard drive space

AVG, and Vista Firewall is good for now

I don’t like or use Windows Defender disable on all my computers

It what I call Microsoft crapware

If you want to use other anti virus software look at

XoftSpySE Anti-Spyware

click here

a-squared Anti-Malware 3.5

click here

If the first program would not remove the program download this program

Revo Uninstaller

Uninstall, delete, and remove left over files that Microsoft uninstall program leave in the

registry and on the hard drive

click here

ambra4 17:40 15 Apr 2008

You should take a read

Windows Defender misses 47% of malware

click here

Acx 17:46 15 Apr 2008

Most of your questions are a matter of choice really.

1) I would, but I know a lot of people would also use the mcAfee for the trial period and then switch. If your friend is the type that wouldn't do much about it at the end of the trail period then probably best to go straight for AVG.

2) I would assume so, but then you are not likely to come to any harm if the first thing you download is AVG and get that up and running.

3+4) Its thier computer let them decide, if they want them. You can always remove them later if they are unwanted.

5) Its good enough to get started with (I dont like Windows Defender and have removed it - again a matter of chioce), I would add
SpyBot-Search & Destroy click here
and a-squared click here

anskyber 17:56 15 Apr 2008

No it does not.

That report was February 2007 since when the new Defender has a new anti spyware engine. It is now no better or worse than many of the others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone