New laptop. havent got a clue!!

redsusan 07:49 26 May 2008

Please help, It's my birthday today and my o/h has bought me a ADVENT notebook personal computer with vista home premium ,how do i even start to connect with my desktop pc which is windows xp.
I have a wireless router from Sky but don't know if my pc can be wireless, how can i find out,what do i do to get started.
Really really newbie please explain in easy to understand language.
Susan

crosstrainer 08:10 26 May 2008

Does your PC have a wireless card?

Read the instructions for your new lappy, regarding enabling connection (this usually involves pressing a button on the machine)

Check out the sky site for settings on your router:

click here

Check your make and model of router, and use the info in the link above.

When you have your laptop's wireless feature enabled, a small icon should appear on the taskbar, and you should get the message "Wireless networks are available" Right click this and choose your router from the list of available networks.

You may be prompted for a network key (assuming you have set one up) If you have not DO SO you don't want others using your connection.

tullie 10:59 26 May 2008

Have you got your laptop workng wirelessly?

redsusan 12:25 26 May 2008

I have just got back in, i don't think i have a wireless card on my PC does that mean my first step is to buy an adapter?

tullie 13:32 26 May 2008

You will need a wireless card for PC,but is there any point in going wireless,its not as if its going to be moved.

crosstrainer 13:51 26 May 2008

If you only need to access the Internet from your lappy, just configure the laptop for wireless, as per my previous post and away you go.

sinbads 14:30 26 May 2008

Just to clarify your new laptop will connect wirelessly to your router and not to your desktop, your desktop is a wired connection to the router and dosn't need a a wireless adapter (unless you wish to have your desktop running wirelessly). you will need to configure your router to enable the you to connect your new lappy. This will be done by logging into the router using your desktop pc. Follow crosstrainers
advice.

If you are still having problems post back

redsusan 15:34 26 May 2008

Sinbads. This is where i was getting confused , i was thinking i had to connect it somehow to my desktop pc not just the router.
Many thank's to you all, will try and sort it.
Susan

zarobian 17:03 26 May 2008

Press Fn key and F10 key to switch on your wireless hardware on your Advent laptop.

sinbads 18:59 26 May 2008

can be confusing click here may not be your router ;but will give you more of an idea

redsusan 19:05 26 May 2008

Thank you so much , just managed to switch on the wireless on my laptop so you can tell i have a long way to go.
It's now asking for network security key for sky87570 !!!!
Dont have any passwords ect what next?
Susan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires