new laptop hard drive

vectradam 12:42 23 Jan 2011

hi
can anyone recommend a suitable replacement for my samsung hm250ji hard drive from a dell inspiron 1720 laptop. my current one has died (according to dell diagnostic). the cheaper the better and it dosent need to be very big

many thanks

gengiscant 12:53 23 Jan 2011
  raziel08 13:05 23 Jan 2011

First of do you have an installation disc to install the OS? Quite possibly you laptop will have prompted you to create some recovery discs so that you could revert the system back to default settings in the event of a problem.

However if the hard drive has failed then any hidden partitions will also be deleted and most recovery discs will require some hidden software to be present in order for them to work.

With this in mind you can choose any standard 2.5" drive to replace the failed one; they don't have to be identical.

A couple of good sites to use would be Ebuyer or CCLonline.

vectradam 15:04 23 Jan 2011

thanks for help so far

would this drive be ok

Hitachi HTS545025B9A300 2.5-Inch 250GB SATA HDD

unfortunately i have no restore cds etc , can i download something at all ?

thanks again

woodchip 15:09 23 Jan 2011

Then you will also need a Operating System to put on it then download drivers for the laptop from Dell if that is what it is

woodchip 15:10 23 Jan 2011

Or you could load a Free Linux Distro

vectradam 15:18 23 Jan 2011

sorry, i do have an xp operating system , is the above hitachi hard drive suitable ?

to clarify what i need to do-

will i install the new hard drive , install an operating system and then downloads drivers from dell (on another computer) and install them on this laptop

thanks

raziel08 16:49 23 Jan 2011

I know that several years ago Dell used to ship out recovery CD's with every machine; these included the OS and the relative drivers for all of the standard hardware which originally shipped in the laptop - do you still have those?

If not then perhaps someone is able to lend you a legitimate copy of windows xp - you can then use the serial code (usually on the bottom of the laptop) to re-install the OS.

woodchip 18:19 23 Jan 2011

Or if you can create a Live Linux CD from click here Create a Bootable ISO CD file with the Download and if there is at least 500 meg Ram it should run it. from the Memory, some of them in the list contain all thats needed to use for Office and games loaded plus other stuff all from the CD. if there is a Printer or anything you want to use , make sure its connected and switched on before you run the CD from boot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone