New Laptop Hard Drive

PC Advisor Fan 09:14 05 Nov 2008

I want to upgrade the hard drive on my Toshiba Portege M400, can anyone tell me if:
A) i could reinstall windows using the recovery disk.

B) where can i buy laptop hard drives

The Brigadier 09:32 05 Nov 2008

A: No.
B: Novatech click here

Pineman100 10:07 05 Nov 2008

I'm puzzled by The Brigadier's reply to A.

If you have a full Windows recovery disk, supplied with the computer, then to the best of my knowledge you should be able to use it to reinstall Windows on a new hard drive - provided you set your BIOS to boot from the optical drive first.

woodchip 10:28 05 Nov 2008

If you buy Acronis True Image You can make a Image to a External drive. Fit the New Drive and just load the Acronis Image using the Acronis Rescue disc You will be away in ten minutes

woodchip 10:30 05 Nov 2008

Recovery discs work in conjunction with Images on the Original Hard Drive. So it would not work with a new drive. He needs Acronis to do it

tullie 10:39 05 Nov 2008

Recovery discs do just that,recover whats on a partition on original drive,not a new one.

PC Advisor Fan 10:41 05 Nov 2008

i have acronis home trial but i've just brought the new version, can i use my old backups

PC Advisor Fan 10:42 05 Nov 2008

i have acronis home trial but i've just brought the new version, can i use my old backups

woodchip 14:48 05 Nov 2008

Don't know about what you call a backup. but a Acronis Image, should load with any version of Acronis

Pineman100 16:53 05 Nov 2008

I'm sorry to bang on about this, but I still think that a full Windows recovery disk will reinstall Windows from the disk, not necessarily from a recovery partition on the hard drive.

I accept that not all computer manufacturers may provide a disk like this, but I believe that many do.

For example, I recently used a DOS recovery floppy disk to reformat the HDD on a Mesh computer, then I reinstalled Windows from the recovery CD provided by Mesh.

Any other views on this?

woodchip 18:33 05 Nov 2008

The recovery disc would need to be a DVD not a CD for it to get anywhere near the size of Operating System and drivers on it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?