New laptop buying advice

tobeloy 21:13 19 May 2010

My 8yr old toshiba is on its last legs and I am looking to upgrade to something that will do me for about 5 years or so.

I am a bit rusty on latest technology so any advice is appreciated, I have a few laptops in mind and opinions on these systems would be good.

I use the laptop for mainly internet, admin stuff, watching movies and tv progs like on iplayer etc, I also listen to some music and play games but i am not a huge gamer so am not looking for a gaming system however if I wanted to play a game then it would be good to have some decent gfx to do so.

I have been solely looking at Asus & Toshiba as my old system was so reliable and I only had to repair the jack on it, these 2 brands come out on top of most reliable too.

Here are the 3 systems I have looked at,

click here

click here

click here

I have £800 to spend as I wanted something thats quite tech advanced for the next few years, its also a sort of desktop replacement so a bigish screen was a must, my old system had a 17 inch screen.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

chub_tor 10:12 20 May 2010

I have been a Toshiba Satellite P100 17" owner for several years now and it has been very reliable so I can see why you are attracted to them. However if I had around £800 to spend today I would be attracted to the new Sony Vaio click here with Blu-Ray player and excellent graphics. My son got one recently and I must say I am mightily impressed and somewhat envious.

chub_tor 10:13 20 May 2010

ps should have added that you can pick it up for around £825 at Dabs and probably one or two other places as well.

ronalddonald 13:54 23 May 2010

you could always try click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

These beautiful, mesmerising & subtle GIFs celebrate 30 years of the artform

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017