New laptop

  Cockney Rebel 11:54 04 Oct 2009

Morning all
I amm going to be changing my arthritic desktop very soon for a shiny new laptop(probably an Acer)
My question is this.I need to transfer photo,s etc to the laptop.I was considering using the Windows easy transfer cable.Has any used one of these?Is it an easy process to go through.Desktop is XP Pro sp3,laptop will be Vista Home Premium.Thanks in advance for any help.

  The Kestrel 12:23 04 Oct 2009

You can do it that way using the transfer wizard. However when I bought my new PC, I simply used a USB memory stick to transfer files. This works easily providing the files are not too large for the memory stick's capacity. I used a 2Gb stick, which was more than big enough for my various files of photographs.

  mooly 12:27 04 Oct 2009

Or put them on a flash drive/SD card and just copy them over. Same for documents etc.

As you are starting with a new OS do give a thought to using the new MS security essentials package. Perfect for laptop and Vista.
click here

I have an Acer... it's been excellent. 3 yrs old now.

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:55 04 Oct 2009

Personally I wouldn't recommend an Acer, just check the forum for the amount of Acer faults and you may see what I mean.

Use windows transfer wizard to put everything onto an external drive.

  Cockney Rebel 17:49 07 Oct 2009

Thankyou folks for your replies,much appreciated.Will probably use the cable route.Reckon I should be ok as long as I don,t rush things.Thanks again

  sharpamat 09:07 08 Oct 2009

Why not just buy a caddy put your desktop HD in it and you have an ideal external drive for backup and data storage

  Cockney Rebel 17:25 13 Oct 2009

Sorry guys forgot to tick this as resolved.Will be going with this laptop. click here
Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?