New Lappy,Vista,which progs.to uninstall?

buel 14:33 25 Dec 2008

Hi, i have a brand new laptop Hp Pavilion dv4-1000ea that runs Vista Home Premium, please can anyone give me some advice?
On the desktop it has the following programmes that i wont use and would like to uninstall(using Revo Uninstaller) because im thinking they will simply use space? Would it be ok to do this please?
They are:
For Kids
HP Help and Support
HP Total Care Advidor
Microsoft Office (trial-Grrr)
My HP Games
Norton(i want AVG instead)

and on the bottom right hand side are:
HP Total Care Advisor
Lightscribe Control Panel
Norton Protection Centre

Shall i uninstall these please?
And any other tips for increasing space as i only have 2GB of ram at the moment...
Thankyou in advance-Buel

ambra4 14:45 25 Dec 2008

Personal I would uninstall the following

For Kids

Microsoft Office (trial-Grrr)

Norton(i want AVG instead)

Visit Ebay

Norton Protection Center

Not to sure what HP Total Care Advisor, and Lightscribe Control Panel does you would have to

decide if you ready need then

cocteau48 14:49 25 Dec 2008

Like yourself I was sceptical about keeping the Norton trial on my laptop but I let it run its 90 day trial period and was reasonably impressed with it ... not enough to pay up at the end of the 90 days though.
You can use the Norton removal tool click here as and when you do decide to get rid of it.
As it is probably the full security suite then you will need a firewall as well as AVG.

I dumped the trial of MS Office in favour of Open Office.org

The For Kids/Skype/Ebay/HP Games can all be removed if you do not require them.

The 2GB of RAM which you mention is not your available space but your memory. The available space will be something like 80/120/160 GB so space should not be at a premium until you start filling it up with your own personal stuff.

buel 15:42 25 Dec 2008

Thankyou all, wonderful advice! Sorry cocteau48, i did know about the ram, i forgot to phrase it properly, i should have 250GB of Hard drive but it says i actually have one of 223Gb and one of 9.47Gb, is this correct please?

ambra4 16:22 25 Dec 2008

“I should have 250GB of hard drive but it says I actually have one of 223Gb and one of 9.47Gb, is this correct please?”

Yes the 223Gb is the main C: drive and the 9.47Gb is the hidden factory recovery program on

the C: drive which you use if you want to restore the computer back to the factory default setting

skidzy 16:27 25 Dec 2008

Hi Buel and merry Christmas.

Glad you made a decision in the end and hope your happy.

Ok,run the tool Decrapifier,this specializes in removing junk programs or more to the point unwanted programs. click here

Then have a look in MSCONFIG/startup and untick what is not needed (you may need help on this).

buel 16:40 25 Dec 2008

Hi Skidzy, many thanks to you and Merry Christmas to you too, dont you ever get tired of helping everyone? :op I shall be in touch with the other start up programmes that i need deleted, thankyou! just one question- whenever i see Vista advertised it shows the desktop showing about 3 or 4 pages on top of each other as opposed to simply along the bottom of the desktop (the best way i can describe it), how do i do this please?

buel 16:50 25 Dec 2008

Ps- how do i get to MSCONFIG/startup?

buel 17:08 25 Dec 2008

PPs- shall i use revo uninstaller or decrapifier?

skidzy 17:14 25 Dec 2008

Lets start with Decrapifier as this is a tool designed for this purpose (new computer).

Worry about Msconfig later.

buel 23:34 25 Dec 2008

Hi thanks for that, iv deleted a few programmes now using Decrapifier, rather annoyingly 'visit ebay' and 'for kids' icons are still on the desktop even though iv deleted those programmes, when i go to delete them from the desktop it asks me to go to 'programmes and features' and when i do they dont appear, am i able to just delete these icons?
And iv tried to delete some 0.6GB from a pen drive and using the vista laptop it says it is going to take 4 hours and i tried it on my Xp laptop it took 11 minutes, why is this please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?