new ipod for old granny

JaneAttwood 22:36 14 Feb 2010

For my birthday I got an ipod but I don't seem to be able to load itunes onto my computer. It seems to freeze halfway through. Is it me?

User-312386 23:35 14 Feb 2010

Your as young as you feel. Ok first thing first can you tell us what operating system you have please and what are the computers system specifications and if you know its 64 bit computer please.

JaneAttwood 23:44 14 Feb 2010

How do I find out those things?

FatboySlim71 09:11 15 Feb 2010

Hi JaneAttwood.

The best thing to do regarding iTunes is to visit Apple's website, because anytime I have got an iPod and it came with an iTunes disk, the version was out of date.

You should be able to download the latest version by visiting the below link, just make sure you choose the correct version for your operating system after you have determined what version you have.

click here

Usually you can find out what operating system you have by doing the following:

Right-click on the My Computer/Computer icon on your desktop (if it does not appear on the desktop go to the Start menu and right click on My Computer/Computer from there).

Select Properties.

In the System window the operating system information will be displayed, this also shows what Service Pack you have.

Once you have iTunes installed you can then connect the iPod. It might or might not say there is a software update for it, go ahead and update it, and follow the onscreen instructions.

Once its finished updating, you will need to disconnect the iPod, to do this you click on the little EJECT (looks like an arrow pointing upwards), this will be on the left handside of the iTunes window in the DEVICES section. It is important to eject this way, has it ensures that any information has finished been written to the iPod. Once its finished and it says its OK to disconnect (or words to that affect) you can then disconnect the USB cable that you had the iPod connected to the computer with.

Once it has finished you can then start to install your music on to your iPod. I presume you will be adding your music off of CD's?

If you are iTunes detects the album title and provides all the track titles too, its then just a matter of ticking all or some of the tracks off of that album/CD and then clicking on the IMPORT CD button at the bottom right of the iTunes window, and that's it, the songs should be imported/installed on to your iPod when its connected. If they are not, you will need to first click on iPod (this is shown in the DEVICES section) and then click on the SYNC button at the bottom right of the iTunes window.

It sounds a bit complicated, but once you have done it a few times it is easy. Its an excellent, easy to use program is iTunes I find.

If you need anymore help Jane, just reply back to this post and I'll see if I can help.

JaneAttwood 18:58 18 Feb 2010

Thank you for this - I am now sorted - sort of. I will probably be back because I am just listening to the radio on it at the moment and I want to do the CD thing and podcasts.

One thing I can't work out - can you tag all songs from the radio or do they have to be special?

FatboySlim71 22:07 18 Feb 2010

Hi Jane.

Not sure about the radio, cause I have an iPhone and that has basically an iPod built into it, but it doesn't have the radio function of the new iPods.

A really good site for information and help for the iPod or any other thing Apple make, is the Apple forum.

Once registered you just post your question in the relevant forum, e.g., iPhone, iPod etc. They have a lot of members and they are very knowledgeable too.

If you need anymore help, post back on here and I'll see if I can help.

Here's the link to it to the Apple forum:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache