New Internal DVD R/W ATAPI/E-IDE Drive

Fastflys 11:10 12 Jun 2007

My O/S is XP Home SP2

My internal DVD ROM drive has broken. Can I replace it with an internal DVD R/W drive?

Most internal DVD R/W drives also read/write[?] CDs. I already have an internal CD R/W drive, will fitting a new DVD drive cause conflicts?

I require an internal DVD R/W ATAPI-E-IDE drive which I understand refers to the type of connection to the Motherboard. When viewing new DVD drives online some say IDE, many say ATA/IDE but none show the connecting cable. Is ATA/IDE short for ATAPI/E-IDE or do I need a drive that states ATAPI/E-IDE?

What internal DVD drive bells and whistles should I look for? bearing in mind I have an older computer.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

rodriguez 12:40 12 Jun 2007

I don't think the term E-IDE is really used anymore. I had an old drive that was E-IDE and it was replaced with ATA/IDE drives with no problem. When you take out the old drive look at the jumper on the back and make sure the new drive is the same setting - if not, take the jumper off the new drive and move it to the right position - it will either be set on master or slave. Plug it in the same way as your old one and it should all work. Just make sure you have an up-to-date burning program that can burn to DVDs, such as Nero 6 or 7 (I can't remember if Nero 5 had DVD burning support). You can also take out your CD/RW drive if you want as you won't need it, but if you want to keep both it will still work. You just have to make sure you have the right drive selected as the recording device in Nero (or whatever other burning program you use).

Fastflys 13:47 12 Jun 2007

Didn't know about the "Jumper" - Thanks for your input.

keef66 13:08 13 Jun 2007

disk drive connectors are either IDE or SATA. You'll be fine as long as you don't get the newer, much smaller SATA.

You shouldn't experience any conflicts with your other drive as long as you follow rodriguez' advice about jumpers.

If you buy a retail boxed drive you will probably find the burning software is included, alternatively save money and buy oem versions of both the drive and the software separately

Fastflys 21:19 14 Jun 2007

I'm considering buying Lite-on LH-20A1H-483C Beige 20x DL DVD +/-R/RW RAM Lightscribe oem + software from MicroDirect at £20.37 including VAT + delivery.

Thanks for your input.

Fastflys 13:44 18 Jun 2007

I'm considering buying Lite-on LH-20A1H-483C Beige 20x DL DVD +/-R/RW RAM Lightscribe oem + software from MicroDirect at £20.37 including VAT + delivery.

Their website states that the minimum system requirement is a Pentium 4 1.3 GHz. My older computer has an Athlone XP 1800+ 1.54 GHz. Will this DVD R/W internal drive run on my system?

keef66 15:24 18 Jun 2007

Yes, your Athlon cpu is faster than the P4 1.3

Fastflys 17:07 18 Jun 2007

Thanks again.

HCOOH 17:16 18 Jun 2007

click here
If you cannot get the lightscribe host software from Lite on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?