New install

tngmrg 10:13 17 Mar 2004

I have a faulty Hard Disk on my Advent 3213. As the computer was 8 weeks out of gaurentee ( and i have no service aggreement)Pc World could not help me other than purchasing another Hard Disk from them. I then looked at the manufactures web site and found that the Hard Disk was gaurenteed for 36 months. Phoned the manufacturer (Samsung) and they agreed to replace it. So I diss-conected the hard disk and sent it back to them.
My problem is that when I come to install the new Hard disk will I have to purchase a new Windows XP disk as my other hard disk had XP pre-installed.

sicknote 10:22 17 Mar 2004

do you mean it came pre installed on the drive and you have NO disc's ??

tngmrg 10:33 17 Mar 2004

Xp was pre-installed on my old hard disk and i do have an advent recovery Cd will this re-install xp on my new hard disk?
Just received brand new hard disk today do i just install it and use the Advent recovery cd?

ventanas 10:37 17 Mar 2004

If what sicknote says is right then you probably will. I have an Advent 3206, drive failed just before Xmas. This came with an ME recovery disc, but the machine had been upgraded using a retail XP Pro CD. After replacing the drive the recovery disc failed to work, because it could not find the verification files on the hard drive.

Fortunately I still had an old Win98 CD, so was able to install that, and then run the XP upgrade again.

Based on this, even if you did get any discs, they may not work.

My old drive was still under warranty, so I now have two installed.

I think the only way round this is to buy your new drive from PCW (if it is cheaper than an XP disc) so you can use any recovery discs you have (or the installation on the new drive) You can then do what I did and install the replacement drive as a slave. No idea what PCW will charge, but I got a new 120Gb Seagate from their business site for £65.00 Obviously this did not have any installation files on it.

I will be interested in what you find out from them.

sicknote 10:39 17 Mar 2004

Please read here click here

ventanas 10:43 17 Mar 2004

Just seen your second posting. You will have to partition and format the new drive. Check the Samsung web site, there should be a small download that will do this for you. (The Seagate program I used took only 15 seconds to partiton and format). I will see if I can find anything and post back.

After that all you can do is try the recovery cd. it will either work or it won't.

Good luck.

ventanas 10:45 17 Mar 2004

From the helpful link from sicknote It would seem that your recovery disc will not work, but no harm in trying.

tngmrg 10:48 17 Mar 2004

Hi,
Pc World would not replace the faulty hard drive (unless i paid for it)as the Pc was out of gaurentee. I tried to explain to Pc World that the manufacturer gaurenteed the hard drive for 36 months but was told to take it up with the manufacturer. This I did and Samsung have been great and have just sent me a new replacement hard drive for free. So if I re-connect the new hard drive i presume i have to buy a full install windows XP cd. This I do not mind doing but as you can imagine i will not be buying from PC World. The only disks that came with my pc are advent recovery disks.

medicine hat 10:48 17 Mar 2004

That's not what I would call a recovery disk then

sicknote 10:53 17 Mar 2004

Have i missed something ,i thought the recovery disc will work or did i read it wrong.

sicknote 10:54 17 Mar 2004

Recovery Disc

Replacement Advent Recovery Discs can be ordered from the following website - click here. To recover your Advent PC you will need your Advent System Recovery CD.

Place the CD into the DVD drive and restart your computer.
Press R on the keyboard when prompted.
The recovery will load and display a menu of options:
Non-destructive recovery: this option will restore Windows®, supplied applications, and drivers. This option will not destroy your documents or programs. These will be backed up along with the registry. These are restored at the end of the recovery process.
System Recovery - No format: this will reinstall Windows®, supplied applications and drivers. It will move your files to a folder called "My old disk structure". Any applications (except those supplied) will need to be reinstalled.
System Recovery - Quick format: this option will erase your hard drive including your personal files. Windows®, supplied applications and drivers will be reinstalled.
Select the Non-destructive recovery option and press Next.
You will be informed about System Restore in Windows®, click Yes.
The recovery will begin. Once this is complete you should eject the CD and click Restart.
Due to the nature of the recovery process you should not use FDISK or any other partition management software to delete the partition on your Advent computer. Doing so will prevent the recovery from functioning correctly. If the recovery asks for a second CD you will need to obtain an Update CD from Advent.

Additional information. Press the ALT and D keys at the recovery menu to access a command prompt. This will allow access to C: drive. The command prompt will default to E:\i386\system32 where you can run a variety of tools including CHKDSK.EXE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?