New Home Network Questions!

CrazyTalk 19:36 16 Aug 2010

First apologies for this as a bit of a brain dump, getting stressed as just cant make my mind up which way to go!

I will be moving in to a new home soon and will be planning to network/ hardwire the entire house. I have some questions I hope someone can give me pointers to aswell as some good recommendations /websites as at moment am googling to my hearts content but still not sure what and where I should spend my money on.

Is Cat6 the way to go?

WHat kind of patch panel do I need or can someone recommend (will have aprox10 pcs max) or is patch panel a bit over the top!

SHould I go down the router or switch route? I plan to try and get all PCs on 1GB ethernet as a standard.

I need a small rack (or do I) for this, any ideas as I assume will stick patch panel, server and router in or again is this OTT!?

Is WIndows Home Server the way to go? My main query is that I need something which can look after all the PCs on the network, control backups of PC data from one central location and also have complete control over internet access, i.e. protect the kids from gong to websites they are too young to be going to etc.

I plan to hook up a NAS in to all of this was planning on the QNAPTS 459.

Loads of questions but I hope someone can help.

Many Thanks

I'm not sre if HS looks after backups for the clients. If it does then that saves configuring them individually. Of course Ubuntu server is a solution I have used if you like a challenge (good user forum).

Cat5a should do you for 1GB/s and you should use it to the server/NAS. For all units then you will need a 1Gb/s capable switch/router. 100Mb/s clients should not be a bottleneck because with careful config. they will not be demanding b/w all at the same time. Your router and exchange line will be the bottleneck I suspect.

I setup my server in the garage and manage it from a browser.

Internet security for the kids is best IMO left to the browser and ISP safe surfing features otherwise you'll always be wondering if you need to tweak it!

toresss 12:00 21 Aug 2010

hello,
Thanks for your useful information about this forum. It might be very useful to us. Thanks for sharing this information . I hope you will share more information and useful site with us.

thanks!!

toresss 14:22 21 Aug 2010

Hi,
All of you gave very nice information. this information will really help me and also others. thanks for sharing this.

cheers!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?