New HHD fitted cannot format

jake2 13:05 19 Nov 2006

I have pysicaly installed a new hard drive (as a slave)But cannot find how to format it so that I can see it on the system.
I can see it in device manager and according to device manager the device is working normaly.
How do I format this drive?

rodriguez 13:08 19 Nov 2006

This should all be done through DOS - don't try it through Windows. If you haven't already got a bootable floppy disk with the FDISK program on it, you can download one from click here. When that's downloaded, insert a blank floppy and run it. Whne the floppy has been written, you can boot from it. When it boots, it will go to the DOS prompt. From there, you can type FDISK to run the Fixed Disk program. Then it's a case of deleting all partitions on the drive you want to format and creating a single primary partition on it. Then restart the machine with the bootdisk and format the drive with the FORMAT (drive letter) command. It's also a good idea to unplug any hard drives you don't want to format while you do this to stop you accidentally wiping data you need to keep.

ICF 13:10 19 Nov 2006

What make of drive is it? Nearly all the manufacture have a program to format the drive.

Rtus 13:11 19 Nov 2006

I would suggest if you can see it in the device manager & bios it will be already formatted. As its a slave,just find a file from the C: drive (your bootable drive) open & then save it to the new slave one.. confirm its saved the file by going to explorer look at the new drive & open the file from there.

€dstowe 13:14 19 Nov 2006

RIGHT click My Computer and select Manage -> Disk Management. You new drive should show there. Right click on the drive designation and select Format. Follow the instructions.

Jak_1 13:17 19 Nov 2006

Control Panel > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management.

You should see the drive there and just follow the instructions. Make sure the jumper is set to slave, easy to forget!

ICF 13:20 19 Nov 2006
  jake2 14:05 19 Nov 2006

Thanks Guys. jak_1 I did it the way you suggested.
Easy when you know how I guess! Very nervous, scrade I was going to wipe everything!
Shifting files over to the new drive now to clear some space in the old one.

jake2 14:26 19 Nov 2006

Whats the best way to move programs from the "C" drive to the new "F" drive?

Jak_1 14:40 19 Nov 2006

drag and drop then make a coffe whilst it does it.

jake2 14:50 19 Nov 2006

Done that with the file folders but what about the programs in thr "programs" list?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?