New HDD - XP problems

Squareman 21:23 29 Oct 2003

I recently installed a new HDD. Using Norton Ghost 2003 I cloned my system onto it. It cannot boot unless my old HDD is still connected. XP Support informs that I have to install XP onto my new HDD, then Ghost my settings etc. This will take some time. Any ideas?

critic-al 21:35 29 Oct 2003

If you have Windows XP configured on a new hard drive, then you don't need to buy anything. XP comes with the Files and Settings Transfer program, which migrates data from your old PC or hard drive. However, you won't be able to move programs with this program.

critic-al 21:37 29 Oct 2003

this may also help you understand.
click here

Djohn 21:37 29 Oct 2003

Have you set your new drive as "Master" from the jumper settings on the rear of drive and changed your old one to "Slave"? j.

Squareman 16:08 01 Nov 2003

Thanks for the help folks. Djohn advice quite basic and was most certainly done. critic-al advice also helpful, although this is what Microsoft suggested. As you say, this transfers data, but not programs. I want to move the lot. I guess I'll just have to install XP then Ghost my programmes and settings with Norton which is far faster than Microsoft's Files and Settings Transfer programme.
Ghost is able to transfer the whole lot, including the operating system, when using win 9x and takes next to no time.

DieSse 16:25 01 Nov 2003

Try XXCLONE - this can make a fully bootable XP drive as a complete copy of the original drive.

I've tried it - it works - the new drive booted up first go. BUT it is an early relaese version as yet.

click here

Squareman 21:07 05 Nov 2003

Many thanks DieSSe. I shall remember this in case I need it in the future.
I tried Ghost, but it refused to do only the programmes and settings. I've nearly finished re-installing all my stuff, but it has taken me ages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017