New hdd won't boot unless the old hdd is also plugged into the mobo

FreyOfVallhalla 21:52 16 Apr 2015

I've got a new hard drive and installed win 8 on it, everything works great as long as the old hard drive with the same os is also plugged in.

When it is plugged in it loads normally asking which hdd i'd like to start up from. I pick the new one and it loads just fine.

But if I take off the old hdd and its just the new one it gets stuck at verifying dmi pool data and will go no further no matter what i try. Have I done something wrong with the installation?

Many thanks for any advice

SANAP 22:12 16 Apr 2015

Can you just swop it ie you have 2 sata cables so os is looking for 1. Try it with HDD in other slot.

Frost_WD 08:54 17 Apr 2015

Hi FreyOfVallhalla,

@SANAP gave you some good advice. I would also recommend to make sure your boot order in BIOS is set to the new drive. Could you tell did you make a fresh install of the OS and if so, was the old HDD disconnected when making the installation? Also, could you include the make and model of your drives? Just for your peace of mind, you could run a brand specific diagnostics tool on the drive and see if there is anything to worry about in the SMART status, however, I highly doubt that this is a hardware problem. If nothing of the above yields any positive result and the problem persists you could do a fresh install of your OS and see if you have the same issue.

Keep me posted, Frost_WD

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:29 17 Apr 2015

OS on both HDDs

boot files only on original HDD.

What is the OS?

If XP or lower then sytem file nedd to be copied to the D: drive

if vista or above you will need to try and boot from a windows DVD with only the new drive connected and run fixboot or may be just a startup repair from the Advanced tools menu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?