New HDD problems

gcook 13:45 25 Feb 2007

I have just bought a new Maxtor DiamondMax 20 160GB hard drive and have been trying to install it on to my Asus P4B533-V motherboard.

The BIOS recognised the drive and I went into the disk management section and initiallsed it and went to format it. 30% in it started squeaking and ticking every second or so. I have read elsewhere that this normally means a failing drive. I ran PowerMax from Maxtor and it says the drive is fine.

I did some digging on the net and found that some older PCs cant recognise drives over 137GB due to 48 bit LBA or something. I checked on the Asus site and it confirms my motherboard will as long as BIOS version is over 1002 version. Mine is 1005 which is good.

I also had to update atapi.sys as per Microsoft KB number 303013.

This still didnt work. I can create and format a 120GB partition though. Any ideas anyone? Im going to put the drive back anyway as it sounds like its going to fail but unsure if its worth my while getting another unless I can get round this problem.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post!

gcook 14:55 25 Feb 2007

Managed to fix the problem. I downloaded the latest Intel chipset drivers as the driver I had wasnt compatible with the 48 bit LBA. Managed to format the drive now.

Still think I will put the drive back as its still squeaking and ticking. What do you all think?

Thanks.

Ashrich 14:56 25 Feb 2007

Windows needs at least service pack 1 before it will recognise a hard drive above 137gb , I assume you are using XP ? I must admit , I don't like the sounds that the drive is making , I think a swap out is in order .

Ashley

Technotiger 15:09 25 Feb 2007

Hi, I second Ashrich.

gcook 15:11 25 Feb 2007

Thanks Ashrich. I do have SP1 but my atapi file was still out of date for some reason. Its fixed now though.

Will contact the retailer and organise for a new drive.

Thanks Ashrich and Technotiger.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone