New HDD mpt recognised

Sonic21 18:02 19 Jan 2005

Hi,

This one has been troubling me all day i have rebuilt my computer into a New case new quiter fan new psu all on the quite side system sounds great problem is i got a 160 gig Maxtor Hard Drive and loaded it up Windows Xp detects the drive and installs the driver but when i go into My Computer i find its not there i have tried putting it on its own on and IDE cable does not work even when i have it on with my cd-writer it displays the CD-writer but not the HDD.

My conclusion was there was something wrong with the hard Drive frustrated i went to PC world and bought another intending on sending back the 160 gig but same thing happens it's a Samsung 80gig detects the hard drive installs the drivers but doesent display it under my computer or in windows explorer.

Anyone got any suggestions?

spikeychris 18:12 19 Jan 2005

Is this a second HDD on the same machine, as in are there two HDD's?

Sonic21 18:35 19 Jan 2005

Hi, Yeh they are i have tried putting them on diffrent ide cables though makes no diffence when I check under computer management it says there is an unknow uninisiated 160 gig drive connected when i click on inisiate makes no diffrence,

spikeychris 18:40 19 Jan 2005

Format the little tinker. Windows will not know its there if you don't.

Start run and type diskmgmt.msc format it.

Sonic21 18:45 19 Jan 2005

Thankyou I never had to do that with previous versions of Windows.

Formated

spikeychris 18:49 19 Jan 2005

You can send one back now ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?