New HD and new OS install?

conor268 22:10 22 May 2010

As I write this email in fear of my hard disk crashing, I want to know whether I can clean install windows vista using a recovery disk onto a new hard drive?
I am going to buy a new HD soon and am afraid I will not be able to install any OS on my laptop.
It is s Toshiba L350D laptop, 32-bit.

Thanks for any help!

gaucho. 22:13 22 May 2010

No.

You can clone the old hard drive to a new one but not use the recovery disk on a new hard drive.

conor268 22:19 22 May 2010

Thanks

Im not sure where I can get a vista install cd and was told you can install vista from the system restore dvd or will I have to obtain a vista install cd on a new HD?

gaucho. 22:27 22 May 2010

The vista install disk is tattooed to the hard drive and machine. If the install code is not on the hard drive the disk will not run. That is why you need to clone the existing hard drive to the new one.

Or buy a new Vista disk.

You may be able to get away with it if you borrow an ordinary Vista OEM disk, load this on to the hard drive and use your product code.

robin_x 22:43 22 May 2010

I looke at this thread a few mins ago then moved on. Now I'm a back. Other browsing threw up stuff that may help.

click here (think its an xp page, but advice is sound)

Have a wade through these for more ideas.

click here

If you buy a new Seagate HDD, you can use free Seagate Disc Wizard (a version of Acronis True Image)

Other mfr's may offer similar utils. See their websites Support/Downloads sections.

conor268 23:03 22 May 2010

I think I may not have made myself too clear with the issue sorry.

I do not wish to copy or clone my existing HD.
I simply want to install Windows Vista 32 bit on a new hard drive. I have not done this before and was making sure this was possible without too many complications.

I read from this site I can install the OS from a CD
click here

I have the product registration key for vista also.

gaucho. 08:03 23 May 2010

"I do not wish to copy or clone my existing HD."

As stated above, then you need either an ordinary oem of vista and use you product key or you buy a retail version of vista.

" I simply want to install Windows Vista 32 bit on a new hard drive. I have not done this before and was making sure this was possible without too many complications. "

As above.

The point I was making is :-

If you clone your existing hard drive over to a new one, your recovery disk will then work on the new hard drive. So after the clone, you could then reinstall the vista operating system on to the new drive.

I thought that was fairly clear from my above postings.

BRYNIT 09:26 23 May 2010

According to the instruction manual the recovery disk should allow you to do a clean install. It does not rely on the recovery files on the hidden partition of your HD. The only problem would be possible corrupt files on the disk if you have not tried the disk before.

As goucho has said doing a clone of your HD including the hidden partition should allow you to again restore to factory default without the disk. This again would depend on the files not being corrupt.

The replacement HD may have to be identical in size/type to the original for it to work. YOU could do a search for a Toshiba laptop forum and ask the same question.

gaucho. 10:48 23 May 2010

" the recovery disk should allow you to do a clean install "

It does but you use the first disk to check the system which includes the tattoo on the hard drive.

I upgraded my toshiba laptops hard drive to a larger one. It would not load off the disk so I cloned the old hard drive to the new one. The installation disks then worked for a fresh install.

T0SH 12:45 23 May 2010

Probably the first thing you should do is to get the user manual from here

click here

Read it carefully paying special attention to the parts on system recovery

Then use acronis drive image or the likes to backup the hidden recovery partition (to an external hard drive also remember to create the acronis bootable recovery CD), as a minimum, this way if the drive does fail you can restore the hidden partition to a new hard drive and use that to do a factory restore back to how your laptop came to you as new

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?