New hardware wizard drop down box problem

puterdunce 08:42 11 Jan 2008

I have a desktop computer running XP with a sony dvd RW drive fitted.

The dvd drive stopped working properly and advised by a neighbour I disconnected and immediately reconnected the ribbon cable connections to the dvd drive, hey presto it worked again but now each time I switch the computer on the new hardware wizard sees the dvd and asks for a disk to load the driver.

I never had a dvd driver disk as it came fitted and operating, the dvd works therefore it must have a driver but I can't direct the wizard to where the file is so every time I switch on the dropdown box appears, not a real problem more just a not knowing annoyance.

The driver file is not in the program files or driver folders, so where can it be or how can I stop the wizard asking the question, can anyone assist. Cheers Puterdunce.

Kemistri 11:04 11 Jan 2008

"...the DVD works therefore it must have a driver..." is not quite correct; it has a generic driver. It should not need a proprietary driver, but if it genuinely does, then just download it from Sony's website or a driver library. Check for warning icons in Device Manager and if there are none, consider opting to prevent the wizard from running again for the device. You have that option each time it runs.

puterdunce 16:18 11 Jan 2008

Kemistri. Thanks for the info re generic drivers and the dvd does work correctly so a proprietary is not required. No warning icons in Device Manager just a question mark against an unknown device. Each time I log on the wizard runs and I cancel it and/or click the equivalent of don't show me this message again but is there a disable function for the new hardware wizard.

aine 19:19 11 Jan 2008

Try putting a dvd in, then unload it. This worked for me once

puterdunce 19:58 11 Jan 2008

Sneaky trick however this computers smarter than you and me think it didn't work.

puterdunce 10:06 12 Jan 2008

I've REALLY DONE IT now!!! Seized it up good I did. Had to restore puter and system to factory settings which of course will introduce another rash of problems I've never encountered. No doubt I'll be back with the begging bowl. Cheers

puterdunce 11:31 12 Jan 2008

Problem sorted XP reinstalled

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone