"new hardware found" message

Creditman 16:04 11 Jul 2008

Message keeps popping up that new hardware has been found, specifically a photo-printer I've been using without any problems for 6 months ! No matter what I do this message then moves onto the installation procedure which eventually says it is completed successfully ! Few minutes later the cycle starts all over again. I am on Windows XP Home SP2. Can someone please tell me how to stop this ? Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 11 Jul 2008

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here
or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

Clapton is God 16:10 11 Jul 2008

Uninstall and reinstall the printer software?

woodchip 16:19 11 Jul 2008

Try removing the Printer from the Printer folder then reload it from the Printer CD

PS you will probably find you have more that one printer loaded in Printers Folder so Delete them all. Start\Settings\Printers right click printer and delete

Faffingwaste 14:04 13 Feb 2009

I've not added any new hardware to my PC for over a year.

Yet for the last three days, every time it boots up a message appears saying 'Windows has found new hardware'.

It then wants to go through an installation routine. . . but doesn't say of what. In fact, there's no indication anywhere of what it thinks it may have found.

Device Manager shows the following:

?Other Devices / ?Unknown device. (The question marks are in yellow.)

I've thoroughly cleaned the PC, the registry, virus checked, disk defrag'd, everything I can think of since this 'new hardware found' phenomenon began but no, it's still happening at every boot up.

Any thoughts? I'm lost here. (Oh, I should say, the PC is behaving quite normally, no operating problems at all apart from this weird ghost hardware message. . . )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?