New Harddive - Need help

Cameron10 18:17 02 Dec 2013

Recently i just bought a new hard drive as my old one had broken

I installed the new hard drive but i have no windows 7 disk to install on it, my hard drive already had windows 7 on it so i was given no disk or plus i can find anything in the box.

My question is can i re-install windows 7 by USB onto my new hard drive.

I'm going to transfer the windows 7 file to my USB and just boot by USB

Will my Hard drive be able to read the USB?

Thanks

onthelimit1 18:23 02 Dec 2013

You have to use a Windows 7 disk and have the COA available. If the old drive had been working, you could have cloned old to new.

Batch 18:27 02 Dec 2013

You can create a Windows & install DVD by downloading the ISO file and burning it to DVD. See Digital River links

You would be able to install W7 from USB. But how are you going to source the W7 install pack to put on the USB? (see above?).

BTW, the hard drive does not read the USB, the computer does.

Assuming your PC has a DVD drive, just download and burn to DVD (you will need suitable DVD burning software that will burn an ISO to DVD).

Cameron10 18:38 02 Dec 2013

thanks for all the comment but "Batch" i saw this

click here it says

"The Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool allows you to create a copy of your Windows 7 ISO file on a USB flash drive or a DVD. To create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive, download the ISO file and then run the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool. Once this is done, you can install Windows 7 directly from the USB flash drive or DVD. "

This correct?

basically

chub_tor 18:41 02 Dec 2013

onthelimit1 refers to the COA, just in case you are unfamiliar with this abbreviation it is the Certificate of Authenticity click here that shows your copy of Windows is genuine. You should find it on the bottom of a laptop or on the back of a desktop. You will need the code from it when you do as Batch suggests as you install Windows 7 having downloaded the ISO file. You can burn an ISO file to a USB memory stick if you have one big enough.

onthelimit1 18:48 02 Dec 2013

Cameron. Your 'click here' is the download tool only - with that you will still have to purchase W7. If Batch's Digital River link is still working, you can download an ISO copy for free (make sure it is for the same version as you had fitted originally). Use the free ImgBurn to burn the ISO image.

onthelimit1 18:52 02 Dec 2013

P.S. If you get really stuck, let me know your details and the version of W7 using the green envelope, and I'll burn a disk for you. Perfectly legal - it's the COA sticker that matters.

Cameron10 20:03 02 Dec 2013

i have the IOS Image file, i only have a USB..

Do i have to burn the iso image on my usb or can i just drag it over?

lotvic 20:19 02 Dec 2013

iso file is a single compressed file (like a .zip file) you need to uncompress/extract all the files inside it using a program that can handle .iso files.

Zeppelyn 01:42 03 Dec 2013

Just use The Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to create your bootable USB, you need at least a 4Gb disk.

Cameron10 14:41 03 Dec 2013

guys i need some real help... im stressing alot to fix this

i have the iso file but it has more file in it

someone help me with this plz, if you have skype or team viewer that would be great

Thanks Cam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires