new hard ware found

adamagain 23:01 04 Apr 2006

my computer seems to think it is but i know i havent
Anyone know why it thinks it has

Thanks

phono 23:05 04 Apr 2006

Have you got and problem devices showing up in device manager? If so what are they?

terryf 00:00 05 Apr 2006

Right click on My Computer>properties>hardware tab>device manager Look for any yellow ? against any device. This may point ou at the hardware that win thinks it has found

adamagain 01:17 05 Apr 2006

seems to be a ATM network controler
CLP CIID

Whatever that is

vinnyT 11:50 05 Apr 2006
  adamagain 22:01 05 Apr 2006

Very good but im still not sure how or why it just started or how to fix it

vinnyT 10:49 06 Apr 2006

Sometimes when these 'new hard ware found' messages come up, the only/best way to deal with it, is to let the wizard do its stuff and install the 'new hardware'.

This way you can also see what driver it is installing, and it may give you a better idea what it is.

This may have started because you may have downloaded a new driver when you last went to MS autoupdate.

As you can see from the above, I have put alot of 'may' into my sentences, as I'm not really sure how or why it started.

Hope this helps.

Eric half-bee 11:43 06 Apr 2006

I had this problem when I first got a computer with XP and installed a printer. I drove me nuts for months everytime I switched on and I couldn't find an answer anywhere, I eventually figured out the following.

Go to Device Manager (Control Panel, System) then Click on View and Show Hidden Devices. This should let you see the device in question (yellow question mark). Delete it, and that should be it.

The problem arises (at least with printers) because the plug'n'play installer and maual installation get confused and try to put the device in twice, although the there is only one source of input (or something like that).

Totally-braindead 11:53 06 Apr 2006

I had this problem with my printer, I had installed it with the latest Epson driver but everytime I switched it on Windows would for some reason try to install its own drivers. Solution in this case was let Windows do its thing and just make the original driver the default one. It does mean that if you look under my printers there are two listed but that doesn't harm anything and it stops it looking every time you switch on.

I would go with vinnyTs advise and just let Windows install its own software, at least then it will stop nagging you every time you switch on.

Did a Google search and it found this click here if you haven't added anything to your computer then its probably some sort of device built into the motherboard and if so the driver will be on the motherboard disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?