New hard drive well below stated size

Scott_the_Scot 19:25 07 Dec 2006

I have just replaced my main C drive. I bought a 250Gb Maxtor from priceless computing. When I installed it I went into the bios and checked the size it said 250Gb. Once I installed windows XP Pro from the systemmax recovery disk the properties of the disk show that it is 127Gb. This is a lot more that the usual formatting losses. can anyone explain the loss and any way of getting the full drive without having to reformat.

Diodorus Siculus 19:27 07 Dec 2006

Right click on my computer

choose manage

then disk management

What shows up there in the properties?

At this stage, the best you can hope for is two disks ... the 127gb and another one

ed-0 19:38 07 Dec 2006

If you are running windows XP, then you need to enable windows 48bit logical block addressing ( service pack 2 ).

If you use windows 98 or pre service pack 2 XP. The the maximum windows can see in one partition is 127Gb. You will get, as Diodorus Siculus says, an extra un-formatted partition in disk management.

gudgulf 19:48 07 Dec 2006

The reason you only see 127GB is that your XP Pro is a pre service pack version.Support for very large discs was introduced in SP1.

One way to deal with this limitation is to make a "slipstreamed" XP installation disc to incude SP2 click here

My solution is to have an Acronis True Image back up of my pre SP windows updated to SP2 but with no motherboard drivers installed.This image is also a maximum of 127GB.........However Acronis allows for partition resizing when restoring the image so I can install it to any size of hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:11 07 Dec 2006

Shows 127G not 160G or Higher
In Windows, click on Start->Run, enter "regedit".
# Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters registry subkey.
# From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
# Enter the name EnableBigLba, then press Enter.
# Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.
# Close the registry editor.
# Restart the machine for the change to take effect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?