New hard drive says it's Healthy but At Risk??????

Tinkey Winkey 10:03 30 May 2007

I've imported a new hard drive into windows xp via right clicking on My Computer icon > manage > disk management.

I am concerned that it says it says the new disk is:

Online(Errors)
Healthy(At Risk)

There's a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark in the middle of it, on the harddrive icon to the left.

Am I in danger of losing all my data?
This is a new Hitachi T7K500GB HD 16MB cache which I've been using for about a month now.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Technotiger 11:24 30 May 2007

Hi, the yellow/black sometimes means the drive is getting low on space, although with a 500Gb I don't think this could be the problem. Is the drive formatted NTFS - it should be for XP.

Or right-click the drive go to Properties then Tools, see if anything needs checking there.

I am Spartacus 11:35 30 May 2007

Check it out with the Drive Fitness Test from click here

UncleP 12:56 30 May 2007

Sounds like messages from the SMART diagnostics present on all modern HDs. 'At risk' means just that; one of the measured HD operating parameters is heading towards its working limit. You need to determine whether this is crucial (and needs prompt action) or not (ie the predicted failure date is a few years away). For the interim, it would be prudent to ensure that all vital files are backed up elsewhere.

First, some additional information would be helpful
- what is the role of the HD in your system eg master/slave, internal or external?
- have you checked that all connections to the HD are sound?
- when did the error messages appear, at installation or recently?

The SMART system monitors long-term performance of the HD - it cannot predict catastrophic errors (mind you, nor can anything else!) - and can take a couple of weeks to settle down, especially if the ambient temperature wanders around. It works even if the reporting system is not enabled, so the data should be there if you can find the instructions to access it. The instruction manual is the first place to look, if no joy there, there should be a detailed account on the Hitachi website.

Tinkey Winkey 05:53 16 Jul 2007

Drive Fitness reported the drive to be faulty despite only being a few months old.

I RMAed it and was refunded in full.
Thx for all your help.

Technotiger 07:34 16 Jul 2007

Glad it is sorted, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?