new hard drive s-ata

stourry 22:32 27 Dec 2004

have bought s-ata 80gb hd as present running win xp pro amd 2000xp 896md ddr nvidea 5200 graphics and mb Abit NF7-S would like to know how to install h/d have small sata cable and connections on m/b but when after inatlling the system does not find h/d can anyone help iam concerened h/d is faulty

Beas-Knees 22:51 27 Dec 2004

You will have to partition & format the hard drive before windows recognises it, right click on my computer and select manage,now click on disk management in the left hand pane and take it from there

AragornUK 00:00 28 Dec 2004

You'll find that XP does not natively recognise SATA dosks. During the XP install procedure, you get a prompt to "press F2 (I think) to install 3rd party or RAID drivers" You need to have a floppy to hand with the SATA drivers on it.

If the SATA is a 2nd HD then there SHOULD be a disk somewhere with XP SATA drivers on it. If not, go to the HDD manufacturer's site and you should be able to download from there

AragornUK 00:22 28 Dec 2004

A mate of mine bought a SATA based system from Dell (don't go there, he wouldn't listen). He formatted and tried to install his own copy of XP. Wouldn't have it. I went through the explanation above with him, and the disk that came with the PC (the Drivers & resources disk) had a folder on it containing the SATA drivers for XP.

If your PC was a pre build then it should have a disk with the SATA drivers on it. Or there should be drivers downloadable from their site.

stourry 20:48 04 Jan 2005

sorry about delay in coming back but have resolved issue by exchanging for ide drive
thanks for all the help once again
and deeply sorry about delay in response

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?