New Hard Drive Probs.

Likespeedypcs 17:20 02 Aug 2006

Hi there, i am new in this forum and i am having a little problem with my new hard drive.

My Desktop originaly came with a 60gb hard which just wasnt enough space for all my files.
So i swapped the 60gb hd for a 120gb hd.

the new hd works great but i have 2 problems now.

1) The new hd only appears as 111gb in the my computer but in the bios it says 120gb.

2)I bought a caddy for my old hard drive to put in so i could retrieve all my data, but when i connect the caddy with the hard drive in it, it says usb device not recognized.

I am running windows xp pro + sp2 and the only drivers that came with the caddy are for windows 98. It says xp does not require drivers.

Thanks for all help

woodchip 17:25 02 Aug 2006

111gb Is correct for a 120gb drive The drive in the caddy as to have the jumper on the edge of the drive set to MASTER you will see on top of the drive Diagram of the pins and the jumper for master

woodchip 17:26 02 Aug 2006

Jumper on Cable Select is no Good

johndrew 17:27 02 Aug 2006

Can`t help with the USB problem, but it not unusual for a HDD to show up as quite a lot less than the figure it is bought as. This is accounted for by disk usage in formatting.

Likespeedypcs 17:29 02 Aug 2006

what is a jumper, sry about this but thanks

leo49 17:35 02 Aug 2006

Actually the differe is largely accounted for by the fact that HDD manufatures use decimal and Windows binary arithmetic.

Igb to HDD manufacturer = 1000mb

1gb in Windows = 1024mb

Diemmess 17:41 02 Aug 2006

A jumper is a tiny black rectangular plastic "collar"
If you look at the end of your HD where all the cables connect you will find a small bay with about 8 pins on it in 2 rows of 4.
On the flat top of the drive and close by, you will see a diagram of what does what.

Following the lable you will probably find the only jumper is connected so that it is in the CLS position.
Using some fine snipe nose pliers or strong tweezers you should be able to pluck off the jumper and push it carefully on to the
M or Master position.
All this is doing is to connect one pair of pins rather than another, but it is important to set it correctly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 02 Aug 2006

This jumper settings for a seagate drive but it shows you the general idea.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 02 Aug 2006

This jumper settings for a seagate drive but it shows you the general idea. click here

woodchip 17:59 02 Aug 2006

USB External Drive also will only work, if it's set to Master

Likespeedypcs 18:05 02 Aug 2006

how do i set it to master?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?