I am running XP pro on my system, and have just bought a new HD.
I had two HD on my system, the Primary is a Western Digital Cav 250Gb IDE 7200 8Mb. The slave drive was broken so I replaced it with a Western Digital Cav 320Gb IDE 7200 8Mb.
The jumpers are set as follows;
Primary Jumper Settings "Primary with Slave" - this has not changed as this has always been my primary with a slave attached.
Slave Jumper Settings "Slave"
The BIOS recognises the device is there, as does Windows XP Device Manager. Both show the device is working, and the Manager tells me there is nothing wrong with the device.
The problem is that XP hasn't given the drive a letter and I can't access it. If I go to My Computer or Explorer, the drive just doesn't appear anywhere there. Only the three partition drives on my primary are present.
I have installed HD's before although it has been sometime so I think I must have forgotten something really simple.