New hard drive jumper settings

Pineman100 11:35 10 Apr 2009

I'm about to fit a new IDE hard drive to my XP desktop computer, and then load Windows on to it.

The new drive is a Maxtor Diamondmax 21 160GB.

As this will become my main C drive, I would expect to set the jumper to the Master position, but one of the options for the jumper settings is 'Cable Select'. Can anyone please tell me what this setting means?

Am I correct to still set the jumper to Master?

Pamy 11:38 10 Apr 2009

Yes, cable select lets you put the drive on any connector , wheras the master must be on the last connector

iqs 11:39 10 Apr 2009

You are correct.Set the drive to Master.

Cable Select is used with a cable select cable.

Pamy 11:40 10 Apr 2009
  Quiller. 11:42 10 Apr 2009

Cable select mode will allow the drive to be controlled by the IDE cable. One IDE connector would give you a master drive and the other connector would give you a slave drive. If you ahve any other devices on this cable, they must also be set to CS.

I correct to still set the jumper to Master?

Yes if the othr connector is empty or any drive on that other connector is set to slave.

Pineman100 11:49 10 Apr 2009

Thanks so much for your quick responses, Pamy and iqs.

I have one more question - I've just been looking inside my PC and I see that the IDE ribbon cable from mobo to hdd has no middle connector. However the cable from mobo to the optical drive does have an (unused) middle connector.

My plan is to install a new C drive, and then retire the old C drive to become an internal slave for backups. Would I be best to:-

1. Swap the two IDE cables around so that the one with two connectors has the new Master on the end and the Slave in the middle?

OR

2. Leave the two cables where they are, put the new Master drive on the end of the existing single connector cable, and put the Slave on the middle connector of the optical drive cable?

I hope that's understandable!

Pineman100 11:50 10 Apr 2009

Thanks to you, too, BSOD. I hope your name is not a harbinger of doom!

Pamy 11:52 10 Apr 2009

I would put both HDD's on the same IDE cable, but it does not matter there may be a slight speed difference ,but not notisable realy

Quiller. 11:56 10 Apr 2009

Pamy

or buy a 80 wire 40 pin IDE cable for about £2 from a computer shop.

Pineman100 12:29 10 Apr 2009

Thanks to you both. Given the fact that the IDE cable to the optical drive has a spare middle connector, do you think it's OK for me to swap the cables over?

Pamy 12:33 10 Apr 2009

Yes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?