New hard drive installed but can't connect to NTL

pj123 14:56 06 Feb 2006

BB?

Have a computer (not mine) running Win 98SE, Athlon 1200, 256 SDRAM. The hard drive is only 3gb and there is only 800mb left.

Have installed a new 80gb hard drive, partitioned 20gb and 60gb. Cloned the old 3gb drive to the new 20gb partition and on bootup everything is working fine except cannot access the internet. All I get is “Page cannot be displayed”.

If I put the old 3gb drive back in as master I can access the internet no problem.

I thought maybe the cloning procedure didn’t work properly so I have just done it again with the same result. No BB connection.

I could, of course, uninstall some of the programs from the 3gb drive (to free up some space) and re-install them on the new drive but they would still put entries in to the registry on the C: drive.

PC Bilbo 15:13 06 Feb 2006

How are you trying to connect?

If it's ethernet connection to LAN , you will need to install Win98 drivers from the NTL Installation Disk.

Win 2000 & XP connects directly will connect directly without additional drivers.

Diversion 15:29 06 Feb 2006

I had the same problem replacing my 40GB HD with a 300GB HD partitioning 40GB of my 300GB HD to clone everything from my 40GB HD to the partition, and using the 40GB as a backup drive. But I had to re-install my BB internet connection onto the 300GB HD to be able to get connected to the internet, everything else worked fine.

pj123 16:42 06 Feb 2006

Thanks Guys. This is a "slave" PC with a Belkin Wireless adapter card in it. The main PC has a Belkin Router and an NTL cable Modem.

No software was installed on the "slave" in the first place, (I have been told) only the wireless adapter which works OK on the original 3gb hard drive.

I am assuming that a "clone" is exactly that.

pj123 10:50 11 Feb 2006

Computer has now gone back to the owner with the 3gb hard drive as the master (working OK) and the 80gb installed as a slave. He is checking his CDs to see if there was an installation disc.

I am waiting to hear from him.

Will tick as resolved.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone