New Hard Drive Fitted - Setup Trouble (please help

gplatt2000 19:53 30 Apr 2003

This is probably a very simple question with at straight forward answer (i hope!). I have finnaly installed my new hard drive (Seagate 20Gb on Win98, old mobo - 5 years ish) after numerous posts on this forum. When I switch the computer on, a message comes up saying Primary Master: Samsung..... - this is my old hard drive set as master - all is Ok (works fine)
Then another message comes up saying
Primary Slave: ATAPI Incompatible
To mo, the 'incompatible' part starts alarm bells ringing. Once Windows loads there is no trace of the new HD when looking in my computer - NOTE- i havent yet formatted/partitioned the new HD yet, because I don't think I can - setup just does its thing, bringing up the above mmessages before loading Windows. Does anyone know the problem? Thanks a lot in advance, Gavin.

gplatt2000 19:59 30 Apr 2003

Forgot to mention - I have tried rearranging cables/making sure they are properly seated etc. all seems OK. Also, DiscWizard (seagate's setup program) doesn't recognise a salve (my new) drive.

Kitz E Kat 20:08 30 Apr 2003

I take it that you are adding the second as a slave? And that you have correctly set the jumpers on the second drive for a slave. If this is so the boot off a start up disk and go in to FDISK, can you see the drive here? If so partition it, and format it reboot and you should see the drive ok, im not sure if you have done this, if you could get back with more details.
yours
Kitz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?