new hard drive

ripendigging 13:44 27 Feb 2008

I have installed a new hard drive on my pc.because my existing one is nearly full.I think it has installed ok as it shows up in (my computer),what I dont understand is how it comes into use,does it just activate when my old drive is full?

woodchip 14:15 27 Feb 2008

If you are using XP, Go My Computer and Right click on it choose Manage\Disc Management you need to make the Drive active create a Partition then right click it in my computer and choose format

ripendigging 15:38 27 Feb 2008

Thankyou Woodchip.

interzone55 15:47 27 Feb 2008

"what I dont understand is how it comes into use,does it just activate when my old drive is full?"

Your computer won't just start to use this drive once your other one is full, it's not that clever.

Once you've formatted the drive you'll need to move your My Documents folder to this drive. Right Click on the My Documents icon, select properties and press Move, on the folder list that shows up select your new drive and the folder will move to the new drive. Any programs that use My Documents will automatically use the new drive.

ripendigging 10:27 28 Feb 2008

Thankyou Alan14

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?