new hard-drive.

denboe 19:14 09 Dec 2007

I am looking to replace my 30Gig hard-drive for a bigger, more up-to-date one.
I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction towards the best selected few.
I am not technically minded and the computer market is a mine-field of information which I find quite baffling.
My computer is used mainly for photography editing and light internet use.

Gongoozler 19:24 09 Dec 2007

Hi denboe. As you admit to being "not technically minded", I recommend that you don't actually replace your old hard drive as this would involve reinstalling all your software. It's better to fit a new hard drive as slave to your existing one. You can then move all your saved data to the new drive, and also store any new documents, photos etc there. You can also set you email program to save your emails to the new drive. I have found Seagate drives very reliable. As your old drive is only 30G I assume that it isn't a SATA drive so this 160G IDE drive would probably be ideal click here.

SB23 19:24 09 Dec 2007

Although I understand you want to increase the size, in my case, I bought to match the one that had failed.

Novatech click here

Ebuyer click here

Both are highly recommended and very good.

Steve

SB23 19:26 09 Dec 2007

Btw, the 80gig harddrive I purchased from Ebuyer worked with no probs. ( I like Seagate )

denboe 19:35 09 Dec 2007

Thanks to both of you for your help, much appreciated.

Gongoozler 19:40 09 Dec 2007

Hi denboe, For photo editing you should also look at the amount of RAM you have installed. I think you need at least 512M, and possibly 1G.

woodchip 19:49 09 Dec 2007

Last Hard Drive I bought was a Maxto 160Gb from a Computer Fair at Sheffield a week ago Brand New £31

woodchip 19:57 09 Dec 2007

Maxtor not Maxto

Quiller. 19:59 09 Dec 2007

You must be carefull in what size hard drive you pick. You must be sure that your computer can accept a higher size.

The idea of using an extra drive for storage is a good one. Another idea, if you have usb 2.0 slots, is to buy an external hard drive. These carry extreemly large hard drives and can virtually be plugged in and working in seconds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone