New Hard Drive

charlie whisky 20:28 23 Jan 2007

Hi There
I note in the latest edition of PC Advisor that a reader is having trouble with a "full up" hard disk drive, I find myself rapidly approaching that stage!
I have just purchased a new Western Digital Caviar 160GB EIDE disk to cure the problem - this new drive is also much superior in performance to the (very) old one.
Is it possible to easily transfer the contents of the old drive over to the new one, and possibly by messing about with the drives' jumpers, so that the old drive can be removed and the new drive put in its place to boot up etc.?
I believe that in the past I have read about software that would do this job being supplied with the purchased new drive.
Unfortunately my purchase was of the economic "brown box" package rather than the retail package.
Have any of you experts got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance to any repondents.
Charlie Whisky

ed-0 20:40 23 Jan 2007

Download and run data lifeguard tools 11.2 for windows from click here

this should clone your existing hard drive to your new 160Gb drive. Just follow the instructions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:44 23 Jan 2007

WD Data lifeguard click here

SLAYER 20:45 23 Jan 2007
  charlie whisky 21:04 24 Jan 2007

Many thanks to "ed-0", Fruit Bat /\0/\ and Slayer for their very rapid responses to my problem.
I have downloaded the Lifeguard Tools 11.2 for Windows as per ed-0 and Fruit Bat, also the three drive image programs suggested by Slayer.
I am positive that these will do my job more than satisfactorily.
Roll on the weekend when I will be able to get down to the job.
THIS PCADVISOR HELPROOM IS THE ABSOLUTE TOPS.

Charlie Whisky

ed-0 22:37 24 Jan 2007

Good luck.;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone