New Hard Drive

jameski 20:25 19 Jan 2007

Hi,

I've a computer running XP home. The old SATA drive has failed and I've bought a new SATA 2 drive. I've fitted the drive set the computer to boot from the CD drive and tried to install XP. During the install process XP prompts for a driver for the SATA 2 drive which I don't have, but used the old SATA floppy disk, after windows has gone through the set up routine it reports that no drive has been identified to load XP onto - any ideas. Thanks

Spec 2.4 AMD 1 gig mem 9800 graphics 250 SATA2 drive DVD an d floppy

jimv7 20:44 19 Jan 2007

Does your motherboard support sata 2.

If not, does the drive have a jumper on the hard drive to change it from sata 1 to sata 2.(some drives do not have a jumper).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:54 19 Jan 2007

Sata Drive not recognised by BIOS
SATA 2 (SATA 300) is not backwards compatible with a SATA (SATA 150) controller. In order to use a SATA 2 drive on a SATA (SATA 1?) controller, the hard drive must have a jumper position to restrict it to using SATA (SATA 150), and a jumper must be installed. Some drives have the jumper position available (e.g. some recent Samsung), some don't (e.g. some recent Maxtor).
This information can also probably be easily found on your hard drive manufacturer's web site.
If your drive does not have the jumper position available, you must return it and get a SATA 2 one that does, or a SATA drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?