New hard drive

Josquius 18:15 23 Jul 2004

I'm wanting to install a new hard drive in addition to the one I currently have.
How woudl I go about doing this?
Is it just a case of putting it in connecting the wires and then switching the computer on?
Will I have to go to dos to format it or can windows xp do this?

Josquius 14:39 12 Sep 2004

OK.
I've noticed my DVD drive has stopped working (it opens and closes though won't be detected when I put a CD in), is there a certain order you must connect the power cables?

bremner 16:22 12 Sep 2004

Power cables - no

IDE cable - possibly

Josquius 17:07 12 Sep 2004

Oh I forgot to say, my D drive is working its just my E which isn't.

Josquius 17:07 12 Sep 2004

Oh I forgot to say, my D drive is working its just my F which isn't.

Josquius 17:08 12 Sep 2004

...forum messing up. Ignore the first of the two above.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:18 12 Sep 2004

Check jumper on drive and set to slave

Securly fit IDE and power cables, make sure ide cable is right way round.

switch on pc, enter BIOS, autodetect HDD, save and exit bios.

both drives should show on POST screen.

In XP -settings- control panel- admin tools- computer management- disk management, will show the drive and give you the options to partion and format it.

Josquius 10:29 13 Sep 2004

I must go to bios and set to auto detect the new HDD before I allow the computer to load up and try and read my original normally? I did not do that. That could be what I did wrong.
For power cable- yellow is on top when the computer is on its open side right?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:36 13 Sep 2004

Power plug is D shape with rounded corners uppermost.

Bios needs to detect drive or the PC doesn't know there is one fitted. If IDE cable in wrong then PC will not boot or detect drive.

The link from Seashanty click here explains everything.

Josquius 14:22 13 Sep 2004

That could be where I went wrong then, I thought it would work as normal so you could go onto windows and then find the new hard drive and install it.
Is there a way to use this cmos thing without a floppy disk? as I am currently without a working drive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:45 13 Sep 2004

You don,t need a disc when you boot the PC on the very first screen there will be a message something like

press del to enter setup

press the delete key when this message is on and the PC will go into the BIOS. The first option in the BIOS is CMOS where you can setup your hard drives bottom of screen will tell you how to change things F3 is usually used to autodetect drives. And F10 to save and exit.

DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE IN THE BIOS YOUR PC MAY NOT BOOT AFTERWARDS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?