New Hard Drive

Pccillin 15:49 17 Dec 2003

I have decide i would like to update my Hard drive.I was looking at getting 120Gb.

Not knowing much else about Hard Drives, I was hoping someone could recommend some tried and tested, reliable ones for me to consider.

Cheers.

Gongoozler 16:33 17 Dec 2003

Maxtor and Western Digital both are very good drives with good after sales support, Seagate also has a good reputation. click here and click here and click here.

If your existing hard drive is working ok, then there is a lot to be said for keeping that as the master with the operating system and programs on it, and using the new 120G drive for saving files. If you decide to do that, then if the maker of the existing drive has good installation software, that could help you decide on the make of the new drive.

Blitzer 17:37 17 Dec 2003

I've recently bought 3 80Gig Seagate Barracuda drives (look to be the smaller version of that posted above) and I would highly recommend them. Very pleased with the performance and the drive are nice and quiet - cannot really hear the head moving around unless you put your head close to the computer case. :)

minter 17:53 17 Dec 2003

If you are buying a new HD and your old one is "old" then personally I would go for a full re-install and use the new HD as master keeping the old one as an archive.

On the other hand if you are happy with the way things are and are just wanting more space do as Gongoozler says.

Try click here or click here

I can vouch for both, not necessarily the cheapest but quick and reliable.

goonerbill 18:38 17 Dec 2003

this is a very good h/d. got very good reviews from all pc mags. click here=

my personnal choice would be seagate

byfordr 18:56 17 Dec 2003

I've got a Western Digital and a Maxtor and am happy with both.

If you go the OEM route most H/D manufacturers have the software needed to set them up on the websites along with manuals.

click here click here click here click here for prices.

Also check if your computer supports SATA (serial ata)which is marginally faster than the old ATA standards.

A 120gb drive should cost around £60 - £70

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?